BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh women’s tennis team fell to 1-3 in the spring season with a 7-0 loss to Rutgers Thursday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The visiting Scarlet Knights won three close doubles matches and swept six singles matches to pick up their first win of the season.
Junior Jill Sloand had a strong effort for the Mountain Hawks at No. 6 singles as she took the first set versus Lindsay Balsamo. It was the only set won by Lehigh on the day. Balsamo won the second set 6-1, and with the match already clinched the third set was played as a ten point tiebreak in which Balsamo outlasted Sloand to win 13-11.
In doubles action, Rutgers won all three matches, but Lehigh managed to win six games at both the No. 1 and No. 3 flights. Junior Jenai Bilimoria and sophomore Abby Farrell fell 8-6 at No. 1 doubles, while sophomore Molly Brooks and freshman Ali Kaminetsky played to an 8-6 score at No. 3 doubles.
The Scarlet Knights (1-1) won the first four flights in singles play to clinch the match. The tightest match of the first four came at No. 1 singles where Bilimoria lost 6-4, 6-3 to Vanessa Petrini.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Saturday when they host Delaware at noon inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Rutgers 7, Lehigh 0
1. Petrini/Li (RU) def. Bilimoria/Farrell (LU) 8-6
2. Balsamo/Zein (RU) def. Bruch/Sloand (LU) 8-5
3. Judeh/Kayati (RU) def. Brooks/Kaminetsky 8-6
1. Vanessa Petrini (RU) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Gina Li (RU) def. Abby Farrell (LU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Mariam Zein (RU) def. Ali Kaminetsky (LU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Noor Judeh (RU) def. Emily Bruch (LU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Lindsey Kayati (RU) def. Molly Brooks (LU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Lindsay Balsamo (RU) def. Jill Sloand (LU) 4-6, 6-1, (13-11)