BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Sophomore Abby Farrell and junior Jill Sloand earned points with singles victories but the Lehigh women’s tennis team fell to 0-2 on the season with a 5-2 loss to Drexel in the Mountain Hawks’ home opener Saturday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The visiting Dragons swept the doubles matches and won four of the six singles matches to win their season opener.
Drexel cruised to the doubles point by sweeping all three matches. The Dragons top team of Zeynep Mafa and Marcela Rosales won 8-2 over Farrell and junior Jenai Bilimoria. Drexel won the other two matches by 8-6 scores.
In singles play, Drexel increased its lead with straight set wins at No. 4 and No. 5 singles and clinched the match when Alex Bell defeated freshman Ali Kaminetsky 7-5, 6-0 at No. 3 singles.
Farrell accounted for Lehigh’s first point with a three set win over Rosales at No. 2 singles, 1-6, 6-2, 6-1. The other two matches were decided by ten point super tiebreaks. Mafa downed Bilimoria 10-2 at No. 1 singles, while Sloand topped Mel Reyes in a tightly contested match at No. 6 singles, winning the tiebreak 10-8.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Sunday February 3 when they host Saint Francis (Pa.) at 10 a.m. in the Lewis Tennis Center.
Drexel 5, Lehigh 2
1. Mafa/Rosales (DU) def. Bilimoria/Farrell (LU) 8-2
2. Bell/Pivonka (DU) def. Sloand/Bruch (LU) 8-6
3. Orhon/Reyes (DU) def. Brooks/Kaminetsky (LU) 8-6
1. Zeynep Mafa (DU) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 7-6 (4), 5-7, 10-2
2. Abby Farrell (LU) def. Marcela Rosales (DU) 1-6, 6-2, 6-1
3. Alex Bell (DU) def. Ali Kaminetsky (LU) 7-5, 6-0
4. Nicole Pivonka (DU) def. Emily Bruch (LU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Aysenil Orhon (DU) def. Molly Brooks (LU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Jill Sloand (LU) def. Mel Reyes (DU) 6-7 (4), 7-6 (0), 10-8