BETHLEHEM, Pa. – In its final match of the regular season Lehigh continued its recent dominance over rival Lafayette with a 7-0 win over the Leopards on an unseasonably warm Monday on the Ulrich Varsity Courts. The Mountain Hawks won two of three doubles matches and then swept through six singles matches to close out the regular season at 5-13 overall and 2-3 in Patriot League matches.
In doubles play, Lehigh’s top team of sophomore Jenai Bilimoria and freshman Abby Farrell cruised to an 8-2 win over Austin Denesuk and Amanda Kusnierz. The Leopards (3-10, 1-5 PL) picked up a win at No. 2 doubles, setting up a winner-take-all situation at the No. 3 flights, where sophomore Jill Sloand and freshman Gabby Drucker held off Lucy Bass and Katherine Charchalis 8-6 to give Lehigh the opening point of the match.
Lehigh extended its lead in singles play as sophomore Kathleen Larkin defeated Bass 6-1, 6-1 at No. 3 singles and then Farrell won 6-2, 6-0 over Kusnierz at No. 2. Bilimoria clinched the win for the Mountain Hawks with her 6-1, 6-0 win over Caitlin Gordon at No. 1 singles. The Mountain Hawks added three more straight set victories at the bottom three flights as freshman Emily Bruch dropped just three games at No. 5 singles, Sloand lost just five in a win at No. 6 and Drucker won a second-set tiebreak to end her match in straight sets.
With the win the Mountain Hawks have now won their last 11 meetings with the Leopards.
Lehigh will host the Patriot League Tournament, which the Mountain Hawks will host beginning Friday on the Goodman Campus. The tournament seeds and matchups will be announced Tuesday after the league sorts through its tiebreaking procedures. Lehigh is in a three-way tie for third place with Bucknell and Colgate, while Army and Navy have clinched at-least a top-two seed.
Lehigh 7, Lafayette 0
1. Bilimoria/Farrell (LU) def. Denesuk/Kusnierz (LC) 8-2
2. Blank/Gibbons (LC) def. Larkin/Bruch (LU) 8-4
3. Drucker/Sloand (LU) def. Bass/Charchalis (LC) 8-6
1. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) def. Caitlin Gordon (LC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Abby Farrell (LU) def. Amanda Kusnierz (LC) 6-2, 6-0
3. Kathleen Larkin (LU) def. Lucy Bass (LC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Gabby Drucker (LU) def. Liza Blank (LC) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
5. Emily Bruch (LU) def. Lauren Gibbons (LC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Jill Sloand (LU) def. Katherine Charchalis (LC) 6-2, 6-3