BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Sophomore Jenai Bilimoria won at No. 1 singles to account for Lehigh’s only point as the Mountain Hawks suffered their second straight loss, 6-1 to Towson Saturday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. Towson won three close doubles matches and the bottom five singles flights to win its season opener, while Lehigh falls to 1-5 on the season with the setback.
All three doubles matches were close, but Towson clinched the first point of the match with wins at the top two flights. At third doubles, sophomores Kathleen Larkin and Jill Sloand took Nisha Shah and Cailey Easdale to a tiebreak, before losing the tiebreak 7-4 and dropping the match 9-8.
Bilimoria started off singles play well, with a strong 6-1, 6-3 win over Aandrea Carter at the top flight. The Tigers picked up wins at No. 2 and No. 3 singles to extend their lead to 3-1.
At No. 4 singles, senior Liz Piscitelli won the first set from Ioana Aprodu 6-2, but the Tiger sophomore rallied to take the next two sets 6-2 and 6-3. Towson also won the bottom two singles flights, dropping just two games in the process.
The Mountain Hawks will be back on the court on Sunday when they host Drexel at 10 a.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Towson 6, Lehigh 1
1. Dow/Burke (TU) def. Bilimoria/Hampshire (LU) 8-6
2. Samlin/Lizana (TU) def. Farrell/Piscitelli (LU) 8-5
3. Shah/Easdale (TU) def. Larkin/Sloand (LU) 9-8 (4)
1. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) def. Aandrea Carr (TU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Nani Lizana (TU) def. Taylor Hampshire (LU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Nisha Shah (TU) def. Abby Farrell (LU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Ioana Aprodu (TU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Andrea Samlin (TU) def. Gabby Drucker (LU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Ayana Down (TU) def. Molly Brooks (LU) 6-0, 6-0