Posted: 02/05/2012 | Last updated: February 5, 2012 at 04:42 PM
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh women’s tennis team hoped the third time would be a charge, but a tough loss in doubles and an injury default denied the Mountain Hawks a shot at their first win, as Lehigh fell 4-3 to Saint Francis (Pa.) Sunday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The teams split six singles matches so the Red Flash winning the doubles point in a tiebreak proved to be the difference.
The loss drops Lehigh to 0-3 on the season, while Saint Francis picks up its first win (1-4).
Lehigh held leads in all three doubles matches but the Mountain Hawks were unable to hold two of those leads. Freshman Abby Farrell and senior Liz Piscitelli downed Shivani Patel and Nuria Valls 8-2 at No. 2 doubles, but after a Lehigh loss at No. 3 doubles, the match came down to first doubles. The Mountain Hawks team of sophomores Taylor Hampshire and Jenai Bilimoria had several match points that they couldn’t put away against Alex Sachs and Lucy Jasson. The match went to a tiebreak, where the Red Flash duo prevailed 7-5 to give Saint Francis a 1-0 lead.
In singles play, the Red Flash capitalized on a Lehigh injury to extend its lead as Piscitelli had to retire in the first set of her match against Patel while leading 3-1 in the first set.
The remaining five singles matches were lopsided, with Bilimoria and Farrell posting straight set wins at the top two singles flights, and freshman Gabby Drucker winning 6-1, 6-0 over Laura Husband at No. 5 singles. The match came down to No. 6 singles where Sachs downed freshman Molly Brooks 6-2, 6-2 to win the match for the Red Flash.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the Lewis Tennis Center for a pair of matches next weekend as Lehigh will meet Mount St. Mary’s Saturday at 2 p.m. and Delaware Sunday at 10 a.m.
Saint Francis (Pa.) 4, Lehigh 3
1. Sachs/Jasso (SFU) def. Hampshire/Bilimoria (LU) 9-8 (5)
2. Farrell/Piscitelli (LU) def. Patel/Valls (SFU) 8-2
3. Sarver/Husband (SFU) def. Bruch/Sloand (LU) 8-6
1. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) def. Devynn Sarver (SFU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Abby Farrell (LU) def. Nuria Valls (SFU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Shivani Patel (SFU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 1-3, retired
4. Lucy Jasso (SFU) def. Kathleen Larkin (LU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Gabby Drucker (LU) def. Laura Husband (SFU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Alex Sachs (SFU) def. Molly Brooks (LU) 6-2, 6-2