Posted: 04/18/2011 | Last updated: April 18, 2011 at 08:16 PM
EASTON, Pa. – In its final regular season match Lehigh downed rival Lafayette 4-3 Monday on the Sullivan Tennis Courts. The teams split six singles matches, but the Mountain Hawks swept the doubles matches to clinch their tenth straight win over their arch rivals. With the win, Lehigh finishes the regular season at 6-12 overall and 3-3 in the Patriot League.
Because of the threat of rain, the teams played the singles portion of the match first, with both the Mountain Hawks and Leopards trading wins. Lafayette opened the scoring with a straight set win at No.1 singles, but sophomore Abbey Perl answered for Lehigh with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Katherine Charchalis at No. 4 singles.
The Leopards went in front as Lucy Bass beat freshman Jill Sloand at No. 6 singles but the Mountain Hawks won the next two singles flights. Freshman Kathleen Larkin downed Liza Blank 6-3, 6-3 at No. 5 singles and sophomore Patricia Muething dropped the first set but rallied for a three-set win over Emily DeLuca at No. 3 singles. The Leopards tied the match at three as Caitlin Gordon defeated junior Liz Piscitelli in three sets at No. 2 singles.
In doubles play, Lehigh received its most impressive performance of the day from freshmen Taylor Hampshire and Jenai Bilimoria, who blanked Seranko and Caitlin Gordon 8-0 at No. 1 doubles. Larkin and Sloand clinched the match for Lehigh by beating Blank and Bass 8-4 at third doubles. Muething and Perl completed the doubles sweep with an 8-5 win at No. 2 doubles.
Lehigh’s win improves the Mountain Hawks’ record over Lafayette to 25-4 this year.
The Mountain Hawks will likely be the No. 4 seed in the upcoming Patriot League tournament, which begins Friday at Navy. Official seeds and pairings will be announced later this week.
Lehigh 4, Lafayette 3
1. Allie Seranko (LC) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Caitlin Gordon (LC) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-7 (8-6), 6-3, 6-1
3. Patricia Muething (LU) def. Emily DeLuca (LC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Abbey Perl (LU) def. Katherine Charchalis (LC) 6-1, 6-3
5. Kathleen Larkin (LU) def. Liza Blank (LC) 6-3, 6-3
6. Lucy Bass (LC) def. Jill Sloand (LU) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 6, 5, 3, 2
1. Hampshire/Bilimoria (LU) def. Seranko/Gordon (LC) 8-0
2. Muething/Perl (LU) def. Charchalis/Denesuk (LC) 8-5
3. Larkin/Sloand (LU) def. Blank/Bass (LC) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2