Posted: 01/19/2013 | Last updated: January 19, 2013 at 02:38 PM
PHILADELPHIA – The Lehigh women’s tennis team ran into a tough Penn squad in its season opener as the Quakers blanked the visiting Mountain Hawks 7-0 Saturday at the Levy Tennis Pavilion. Penn won all three doubles matches and swept the six singles matches in straight sets to earn the victory in the spring season opener for both squads.
Penn dropped just five games en route to capturing the doubles point. The Quakers’ top team of Stephanie Do and Sol Eskenazi, ranked No. 14 nationally and No. 1 in the northeast, downed Lehigh’s top team of junior Jenai Bilimoria and sophomore Abby Farrell 8-2. With junior all-league performer Taylor Hampshire still sidelined as she recovers from injury, the shorthanded Mountain Hawks teamed sophomore Molly Brooks and freshman Alexandra Kaminetsky at No. 2 doubles and sophomore Emily Bruch and junior Jill Sloand at No. 3 doubles.
In singles play Penn continued its dominance, as the Quakers did not lose more than two games in any match. Eskenazi downed Bilimoria 6-2, 6-0 at No. 1 singles while Do defeated Farrell 6-2, 6-0 at No. 2. Brooks won two first-set games in a loss to Emma Whitfield at No. 5 singles, while Sloand took a game in each set in a 6-1, 6-1 loss to Jules Rodin at No. 6 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action next Saturday when they open up their home slate with a match against Drexel at 11 a.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Penn 7, Lehigh 0
1. Do/Eskenazi (Penn) def. Bilimoria/Farrell (Lehigh) 8-2
2. Latycheva/Jania (Penn) def. Brooks/Kaminetsky (Lehigh) 8-1
3. Ion/Whitfield (Penn) def. Bruch/Sloand (Lehigh) 8-2
1. Sol Eskenazi (Penn) def. Jenai Bilimoria (Lehigh) 6-2, 6-0
2. Stephanie Do (Penn) def. Abby Farrell (Lehigh) 6-2, 6-0
3. Alex Ion (Penn) def. Alexandra Kaminetsky (Lehigh) 6-0, 6-1
4. Katherine Jania (Penn) def. Emily Bruch (Lehigh) 6-0, 6-0
5. Emma Whitfield (Penn) def. Molly Brooks (Lehigh) 6-2, 6-0
6. Jules Rodin (Penn) def. Jill Sloand (Lehigh) 6-1, 6-1