Posted: 02/04/2012 | Last updated: February 4, 2012 at 04:58 PM
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Despite another competitive effort from the Lehigh women’s tennis team, the Mountain Hawks dropped their second straight match to open the season, falling 7-0 to Fairleigh Dickinson Saturday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The visiting Knights won all three doubles and all six singles matches to win their season opener, while Lehigh falls to 0-2 with the loss.
Fairleigh Dickinson opened the match by sweeping the three doubles matches. The Mountain Hawks were most competitive at No. 3 doubles, where sophomore Kathleen Larkin and freshman Emily Bruch fell 8-5 to Manuela Leme and Gaby Sarrate.
In singles play, the Mountain Hawks hung tough at the top three singles flights, as sophomore Jenai Bilimoria, freshman Abby Farrell and senior Liz Piscitelli each lost their first sets by identical 7-5 scores. Fairleigh Dickinson players went on to win all three of those matches in straight sets, and also swept through the bottom three flights , dropping just three, two and five games respectively at fourth, fifth and sixth singles.
The Mountain Hawks will try again for their first win on Sunday when 0-4 Saint Francis (Pa.) visits the Lewis Tennis Center for a 2 p.m. match.
FDU 7, Lehigh 0
1. Botes/Dementyeva (FDU) def. Bilimoria/Hampshire (LU) 8-3
2. Prantl/Morina (FDU) def. Piscitelli/Farrell (LU) 8-2
3. Leme/Sarrate (FDU) def. Larkin/Bruch (LU) 8-5
1. Elmine Botes (FDU) def. Jenai Bilimora (LU) 7-5, 6-3
2. Julie Prantl (FDU) def. Abby Farrell (LU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Irina Dementyeva (FDU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Eqzona Morina (FDU) def. Jill Sloand (LU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Manuela Leme (FDU) def. Gabby Drucker (LU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Gaby Sarrate (FDU) def. Molly Brooks (LU) 6-2, 6-3