Mountain Hawks suffer 7-0 loss to Delaware
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – One day after picking up its first win of the season, Lehigh’s women’s tennis team could not continue the momentum into Sunday’s match with Delaware, as the Blue Hens posted a convincing 7-0 win inside the Lewis Tennis Center. Delaware swept through all three doubles and all six singles matches to drop Lehigh to 1-4 on the season.
In doubles play Delaware won all three matches convincingly. The closest of the three matches was at the No.2 flight where freshman Abby Farrell and senior Liz Piscitelli took four games from Dorothy Safrom and Courtney Fenimore.
Delaware continued its dominance in singles play, dropping a total of just 12 games across the six flights. Sophomore Kathleen Larkin had the best effort on Lehigh’s side, taking six games from Amanda Halstrom in a 6-3, 6-3 loss.
Another busy weekend of tennis awaits the Mountain Hawks next weekend as Lehigh will host Towson Saturday at 1 p.m. and Drexel Sunday at 10 a.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Delaware 7, Lehigh 0
1. Carnall/Sjoberg-Sundstrom (UD) def. Bilimoria/Hampshire (LU) 8-2
2. Safron/Fenimore (UD) def. Farrell/Piscitelli (LU) 8-4
3. Heim/Halstrom (UD) def. Bruch/Larkin (LU) 8-2
1. Dorothy Safrom (UD) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Courtney Fenimore (UD) def. Taylor Hampshire (LU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Samantha Carnall (UD) def. Abby Farrell (LU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Sophie Sjoberg-Sundstrom (UD) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Olivia Heim (UD) def. Jill Sloand (LU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Amanda Halstrom (UD) def. Kathleen Larkin (LU) 6-3, 6-3