Posted: 02/19/2012 | Last updated: February 19, 2012 at 05:47 PM
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh women’s tennis team had its hands full with a tough Drexel squad and the visiting Dragons flexed their muscles in a 6-1 win over the Mountain Hawks Sunday at the Lewis Tennis Center. Freshman Abby Farrell accounted for Lehigh’s only point when she picked up a win at No. 3 singles when her opponent retired due to injury.
The setback drops Lehigh to 1-6 on the spring season, while Drexel is now 3-4 in spring action.
Drexel began the day by sweeping through all three doubles matches. The match at No. 3 doubles was the most tightly contested with Emma Brook and Nicole Pivonka defeating sophomores Kathleen Larkin and Jill Sloand 8-5.
In singles play, Farrell won the first set from Brook 6-2 before Brook retired with an injury. The Dragons won the top two singles flights to extend their lead. At No. 4 singles senior Liz Piscitelli battled hard against Alex Bell. Piscitelli dropped the first set but rallied to win the second 6-1, before Bell bounced back to win the decisive third set 6-3. Drexel closed out the match with wins at the bottom two singles flights as well.
The Mountain Hawks will close out their season-opening nine match home stand when they host Stony Brook Friday at 1 p.m. and Albany Sunday at 10 a.m.
Drexel 6, Lehigh 1
1. Stosic/Mafa (DU) def. Bilimoria/Hampshire (LU) 8-1
2. Leizerovich/Rosales (DU) def. Farrell/Piscitelli (LU) 8-4
3. Brook/Pivonka (DU) def. Larkin/Sloand (LU) 8-5
1. Zeynep Mafa (DU) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Marcela Rosales (DU) def. Taylor Hampshire (LU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Abby Farrell (LU) def. Emma Brook (DU) 6-2, retired
4. Alex Bell (DU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
5. Nicole Pivonka (DU) def. Kathleen Larkin (LU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Aysenil Orhon (DU) def. Jill Sloand (LU) 6-1, 6-4