LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Lehigh women’s tennis team fell to 1-3 in Patriot League matches following a 5-2 loss to Bucknell Friday afternoon. The Mountain Hawks did win the top two singles flights, but Bucknell swept the doubles matches to take the first point and then won the first four matches to finish in singles action. Lehigh is now 4-13 overall on the season.
After winning all three matches to capture the doubles point, Bucknell quickly raced to a 4-0 lead, clinching the match with straight set wins at third, fourth and fifth singles. Senior Liz Piscitelli retired in her match with Lydia Colvin down 6-2, 3-0 at No. 3 singles, while freshman Gabby Drucker and sophomore Kathleen Larkin won a combined four games in losses at No. 4 and No. 5 singles.
Lehigh did have some more success in the other three matches. Freshman Emily Bruch rallied to win the second set in her match with Christie Schneider at No. 6 singles, but Schneider won the ten point super tiebreak 10-2 to put the Bison up 5-0.
Bilimoria won her first set against Demi Iepuras at No. 1 singles, but after dropping the second set 6-1, came back to win the super tiebreak 10-8. Farrell also won her first set 6-2 against Elena Vidrascu at No. 2 singles but dropped the second set in a tiebreak before winning her super tiebreak 10-8.
The Mountain Hawks have one more match remaining in their regular season. Lehigh will return to the courts Monday to host rival Lafayette at 3 p.m. on the Ulrich Varsity Courts.
Bucknell 5 Lehigh 2
1. Tuzhikova/Vidrascu (BU) def. Bilimoria/Farrell (LU) 8-4
2. Colvin/Casey (BU) def. Piscitelli/Drucker (LU) 8-6
3. Iepuras/Boone (BU) def. Sloand/Larkin (LU) 8-5
1. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) def. Demi Iepuras (BU) 6-2, 1-6, 10-8
2. Abby Farrell (LU) def. Elena Vidrascu (BU) 6-2, 6-7, 10-8
3. Lydia Colvin (BU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-2, 3-0, retired
4. Daria Tuzhikova (BU) def. Gabby Drucker (LU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Courtney Casey (BU) def. Kathleen Larkin (LU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Christie Schneider (BU) def. Emily Bruch (LU) 6-2, 6-7, 10-2