Mountain Hawks blanked by tough Stony Brook squad
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh opened up its final weekend of a month-long home stand with a 7-0 loss to the Stony Brook Seawolves Friday afternoon at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks battled hard against a veteran Seawolf squad that features three seniors and two juniors, but Stony Brook swept all nine matches on the day to improve to 3-2, while Lehigh falls to 1-6.
Stony Brook opened the match by sweeping the doubles point. The Seawolves enjoyed a convincing 8-1 win at No. 3 doubles, and also won the top two flights by 8-4 scores. Lehigh was without the services of sophomore All-Patriot League performer Taylor Hampshire, so senior Liz Piscitelli moved up to the top doubles spot alongside sophomore Jenai Bilimoria. The Lehigh duo fell to Nini Lagvilava and Polina Movhan. The Seawolves also won at No. 2 doubles where Katherine Hanson and Salome Mkervalidze won 8-4 over sophomore Kathleen Larkin and freshman Abby Farrell.
In singles play, Farrell moved back up to the No. 2 spot and had the best effort in a loss, taking seven games from Movchan in a 6-4, 6-3 loss. Lagvilava won 6-3, 6-1 over Bilimoria at No. 1 singles. Stony Brook dropped just five games combined in taking the bottom four flights in straight sets.
The Mountain Hawks will close out their nine match home stand on Sunday when they host Albany at 10 a.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Stony Brook 7, Lehigh 0
1. Lagvilava/Movchan (SBU) def. Bilimoria/Piscitelli (LU) 8-4
2. Hansen/Mkervalidze (SBU) def. Farrell/Larkin (LU) 8-4
3. Pike/Appineni (SBU) def. Sloand/Bruch (LU) 8-1
1. Nini Lagvilava (SBU) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Polina Movchan (SBU) def. Abby Farrell (LU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Katherine Hanson (SBU) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Chloe Pike (SBU) def. Kathleen Larkin (LU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Prerana Appineni (SBU) def. Gabby Drucker (LU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Salome Mkervalidze (SBU) def. Molly Brooks (LU) 6-0, 6-2