Mountain Hawks blanked by tough Army squad
WEST POINT, N.Y. – Army has been the dominant women’s tennis team in the Patriot League, with 48 straight league dual match wins and the Black Knights flexed their muscle in a 7-0 win over Lehigh Thursday on the Malek Tennis Courts. The Mountain Hawks dropped all three doubles matches and were swept in straight sets across six singles matches as Lehigh falls to 5-12 overall and 2-3 in league matches.
The Black Knights took the first point of the match winning all three doubles matches by 8-3 scores. Army’s dominance carried over into singles play as the Black Knights won all six matches in straight sets. Sophomore Patricia Muething had the best singles showing, taking four games off Annie Hang at No. 4 singles in a 6-2, 6-2. Freshmen Kathleen Larkin and Jill Sloand each won three games in losing efforts at No. 5 and No. 6 singles respectively.
The Mountain Hawks will wrap-up the regular season on Monday when they travel to rival Lafayette to take on the Leopards at 3 p.m.
Army 7, Lehigh 0
1. Ahn/Houghton (Army) def. Hampshire/Bilimoria (LU) 8-3
2. Colton/Hang (Army) def. Muething/Piscitelli (LU) 8-3
3. Hansen/Vollmer (Army) def. Larkin/Sloand (LU) 8-3
1. Annie Houghton (Army) def. Taylor Hampshire (LU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Jamila Paul (Army) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Erin Colton (Army) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Annie Hang (Army) def. Patricia Muething (LU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Jurelle Mendoza (Army) def. Kathleen Larkin (LU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Robie Verano (Army) def. Jill Sloand (LU) 6-1, 6-2