Long home stand ends with 6-1 loss to Albany Sunday
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh closed out its season-opening nine match home stand with a 6-1 loss to Albany Sunday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. Freshman Gabby Drucker earned Lehigh’s point with a third set ten point tiebreak win at No. 5 singles but the Great Danes won the other three doubles matches and five singles matches. The Mountain Hawks fell to 1-8 with the setback.
Albany swept the three doubles matches to claim the first point of the match. The closest contest was at No. 2 doubles were freshman Abby Farrell and sophomore Kathleen Larkin pushed Kirsten Scott and Cheryl Kukkonen before falling 9-7.
The Great Danes clinched the match with wins at first, second and fourth singles. Senior Liz Piscitelli took the first set from Livia Gherman at No. 3 singles, but Gherman rallied to take the next two sets 6-2 for the three-set win.
At No. 5 singles Drucker dropped the first set 3-6 to Sarah Iannone, but rallied to take the second 6-2. Drucker also won the ten point tiebreak 10-8 to put Lehigh on the scoreboard.
The Mountain Hawks will take to the road for the first time next weekend when they travel to Georgetown to face the Hoyas Saturday at 3 p.m.
Albany 6, Lehigh 1
1. Lopez/Gherman (UA) def. Bilimoria/Piscitelli (LU) 8-4
2. Scott/Kukkonen (UA) def. Farrell/Larkin (LU) 9-7
3. Iannone/Brooks (UA) def. Bruch/Drucker (LU) 8-5
1. Rocio Lopez (UA) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Kirsten Scott (UA) def. Abby Farrell (LU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Livia Gherman (UA) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 0-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Cheryl Kukkonen (UA) def. Kathleen Larkin (LU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Gabby Drucker (LU) def. Sarah Iannone (UA) 3-6, 6-2, 10-8
6. Aubrey Brooks (UA) def. Jill Sloand (LU) 6-2, 6-1