Posted: 03/25/2012 | Last updated: March 25, 2012 at 06:13 PM
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh and Loyola (Md.) split six singles matches on Sunday, but the Mountain Hawks swept the doubles matches for the eventual decisive point in a 4-3 win over the Greyhounds at the Ulrich Varsity Courts. Freshman Abby Farrell posted a three-set win at No. 2 singles to help Lehigh clinch its second win in its last three outings.
Sunday’s weather forecast cleared up enough for the teams to take things outside. Sophomores Kathleen Larkin and Jill Sloand opened things with a convincing 8-1 win over Tiffany Ash and Jackie Lionetta at No. 3 singles. The Mountain Hawks clinched the doubles point as the top team of Farrell and sophomore Jenai Bilimoria downed Rachel Janasek and Olivia Ott 8-6. Lehigh also won the match at No. 2 doubles in a tiebreak.
At first singles Bilimoria downed Janasek 6-4, 6-3, while freshman Emily Bruch picked up her first career singles win, downing Lionetta 7-6, 6-3 at No. 6 singles. Loyola picked up straight set wins at No. 4 and No. 5 singles, while matches at No. 2 and No. 3 singles needed three sets to be decided.
For the Greyhounds, Ash defeated senior Liz Piscitelli 7-5, 2-6, 6-4 at No. 3 singles, but Farrell persevered past Scarlett Hoy at No.2 singles 6-2, 2-6, 6-3 to clinch Lehigh’s third win of the spring season.
The Mountain Hawks will open Patriot League play next weekend when they travel to Navy to take on the Midshipmen at 10 a.m.
Lehigh 4 Loyola 3
1. Bilimoria/Farrell (LU) def. Janasek/Ott (Loy) 8-6
2. Piscitelli/Drucker (LU) def. Hoy/Lite (Loy) 9-8 (4)
3. Larkin/Sloand (LU) def. Ash/Lionetta (Loy) 8-1
1. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) def. Rachel Janasek (Loy) 6-4, 6-3
2. Abby Farrell (LU) def. Scarlett Hoy (Loy) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
3. Tiffany Ash (Loy) def. Liz Piscitelli (LU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-4
4. Judy Lite (Loy) def. Gabby Drucker (LU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Olivia Ott (Loy) def. Molly Brooks (LU) 6-1, 7-5
6. Emily Bruch (LU) def. Jackie Lionetta (Loy) 7-6 (7), 6-3