Lehigh falls 7-0 at Penn Thursday
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – The Lehigh women’s tennis team (1-10) fell 7-0 at Ivy League foe Penn (5-5) at the Hamlin Tennis Center on Thursday. Abby Farrell battled at No. 2 almost forcing a third set, but fell 7-5 in the second set. Lehigh will look to rebound with a pair of matches this weekend as the Mountain Hawks will host St. Francis Saturday at 10 a.m. before travelling to face Saint Joseph’s Sunday at 1 p.m.
Penn opened the match sweeping the doubles point. The Quakers earned an 8-2 win at No. 1 as Sol Eskenazi and Jules Rodin defeated Jenai Bilimoria and Elizabeth Piscitelli. At No. 2, Daniela DePaoli and Alex Ion won 8-3 over Farrell and Kathleen Larkin. And at No. 3, Stephanie Do and Emma Whitfield defeated Molly Brooks and Jill Sloand, 8-1.
In singles play, Farell had the best effort in a loss, taking seven games from Do in a 6-2, 7-5 loss. At No. 5, Larkin also had a good effort taking five games, falling 6-3, 6-2. Lehigh won just three games in the other four flights.
With the loss, Lehigh fell to 13-0 all-time vs. Penn. Thursday marked the first meeting between the schools since October 22, 1996.
Penn 7, Lehigh 0
1. Sol Eskenazi/Jules Rodin (P) def. Jenai Bilimoria/Elizabeth Piscitelli (LU), 8-2
2. Daniela DePaoli/Alex Ion (P) def. Abby Farrell/Kathleen Larkin (LU), 8-3
3. Stephanie Do/Emma Whitfield (P) def. Molly Brooks/Jill Sloand (LU), 8-1
1. Sol Eskenazi (P) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Stephanie Do (P) def. Abby Farrell (LU), 6-2, 7-5
3. Alex Ion (P) def. Elizabeth Piscitelli (LU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Daniela DePaoli (P) def. Gabby Drucker (LU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Jules Rodin (P) def. Kathleen Larkin (LU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Emma Whitfield (P) def. Jill Sloand (LU), 6-1, 6-0