Lehigh drops 6-1 decision to Towson Saturday afternoon
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – In its first action in nearly two weeks the Lehigh women’s tennis team fell 6-1 to Towson Saturday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks’ top doubles team of junior Jenai Bilimoria and sophomore Abby Farrell posted a win, while freshman Ali Kaminetsky won in a third set ten point tiebreak to account for Lehigh’s lone point. The loss drops Lehigh to 2-6 on the season.
Bilimoria and Farrell posted an 8-6 win over Ayana Dow and Ariel Burke at No. 1 doubles, while Towson won convincingly at No. 2 doubles. Junior Taylor Hampshire made her season debut at No. 3 doubles alongside Kaminetsky, but the Lehigh duo lost to Moriah Burke and Lorena Ferrer as the Tigers claimed the doubles point.
Towson extended its lead in singles play as Ferrer won in straight sets over sophomore Emily Bruch at No. 4 singles and clinched the match as Dow and Nisha Shah won in straight sets at No. 1 and No. 2 singles respectively. The Tigers also posted straight set wins at the bottom two flights, while Kaminetsky defeated Ariel Burke 7-6 (2), 3-6, 10-8 to claim her second singles victory this season.
The Mountain Hawks will close out their eight match home stand on Sunday when they host Temple at 2 p.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Towson 6, Lehigh 1
1. Bilimoria/Farrell (LU) def. Dow/A. Burke (TU) 8-6
2. Samlin/Shah (TU) def. Bruch/Sloand (LU) 8-1
3. M. Burke/Ferrer (TU) def. Hampshire/Kaminetsky (LU) 8-6
1. Ayana Dow (TU) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Nisha Shah (TU) def. Abby Farrell (LU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Ali Kaminetsky (LU) def. Ariel Burke (TU) 7-6 (2), 3-6, 10-8
4. Lorena Ferrer (TU) def. Emily Bruch (LU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Andrea Samlin (TU) def. Jill Sloand (LU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Moriah Burke (TU) def. Marian Prim (LU) 6-3, 6-3