BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team increased its win streak to five matches with a 7-0 victory over Monmouth Friday afternoon inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks pulled out a tightly-contested doubles point, winning two of the three matches, before sweeping all six singles matches. The win brings Lehigh to 5-1 on the spring season.
In doubles play junior Andrew Krentz and sophomore Timur Chernykh had a convincing 8-2 win over Stephen Suboleski and Tom Kowalski at No. 3 doubles. Monmouth picked up its lone win at No. 1 doubles, but the Mountain Hawks clinched the first point with a win at No. 2 doubles as freshman Ben Gilman and senior Edgars Rauza won 8-6 over Laurence Heads and David Sherwood.
Lehigh’s lead grew in singles play, as Krentz won at No. 4 singles when Heads retired after dropping the first set 6-4. Gilman won convincingly over Sherwood 6-1, 6-1 at No. 3 singles to put the Mountain Hawks up 3-0. Head coach Dave Shook flipped his top two singles players, and in his first match down at No. 2 singles, sophomore Mark Goldberg clinched the match for Lehigh with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Carl Jedlinski. Freshman Mitchell Petersen also pulled out a win up at No. 1 singles as he edged Freddy Marcinkowski 6-4, 7-6.
The bottom two singles flights went to Lehigh as well, with freshman DJ Goldblum downing Suboleski 6-4, 6-4 at No. 5 singles and Rauza winning 6-4, 6-2 over Kowalski at No. 6 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will go for six wins in a row Sunday when they host the Drexel Dragons at 2 p.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 7, Monmouth 0
1. Marcinkowski/Jedlinski (MU) def. Petersen/Goldberg (LU) 8-6
2. Gilman/Rauza (LU) def. Heads/Sherwood (MU) 8-6
3. Krentz/Chernykh (LU) def. Suboleski/Kowalski (MU) 8-2
1. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Freddy Marcinkowski (MU) 6-4, 7-6 (1)
2. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Carl Jedlinski (MU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Ben Gilman (LU) def. David Sherwood (MU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Laurence Heads (MU) 6-4, retired
5. DJ Goldblum (LU) def. Stephen Suboleski (MU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Edgars Rauza (LU) def. Tom Kowalski (MU) 6-4, 6-2