BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team extended its winning streak to three as the Mountain Hawks downed Stony Brook 6-1 Saturday morning at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks swept the doubles matches and won five of six singles matches to avenge a 4-3 loss to the Seawolves last season. Lehigh is now 4-1 in 2013.
All three doubles matches were tight but the Mountain Hawks found a way to win all three to take a 1-0 lead in the match. Lehigh’s No. 3 team of sophomore Ben Gilman and senior Andrew Krentz won 8-5 over Rick Timmerman and Albert Fontova and then the Mountain Hawks’ top team of junior Mark Goldberg and sophomore Mitchell Petersen clinched the doubles point with an 8-6 win over Mons Knudtzon and Jose Morales. Lehigh’s No. 2 team, consisting of senior Matt Savran and freshman Jeremy Kochman, won in a tiebreak over Robert Forai and Marcelo Locatelli.
Lehigh’s top two singles players, Gilman and Goldberg helped extend the Mountain Hawks’ lead with straight set victories. Gilman moved into the No. 1 spot where he shut down Timmerman 6-2, 6-1, while at No. 2 Goldberg won 6-4, 6-1 over Knudtzon.
Stony Brook secured its only point as Forai won in straight sets over Savran at No. 4, but Petersen clinched the match for the Mountain Hawks, rallying from a set down to take the second and third sets in tiebreaks against Locatelli at the No. 3 flight.
Krentz and junior Timur Chernykh closed out the match with wins at the bottom two singles flights.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court in search of their fourth straight win when they host Mount St. Mary’s Sunday at 10 a.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 6, Stony Brook 1
1. Goldberg/Petersen (LU) def. Knudtzon/Morales (SBU) 8-6
2. Savran/Kochman (LU) def. Forai/Locatelli (SBU) 8-7
3. Gilman/Krentz (LU) def. Timmerman/Fontova (SBU) 8-5
1. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Rick Timmerman (SBU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Mons Knudtzon (SBU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Marcelo Locatelli (SBU) 4-6, 7-6 (4), 7-6 (4)
4. Robert Forai (SBU) def. Matt Savran (LU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Jose Morales (SBU) 7-6 (9), 6-2
6. Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Albert Fontova (SBU) 6-3, 6-3