Posted: 02/23/2013 | Last updated: February 23, 2013 at 09:19 PM
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team won two of three doubles matches and the first five doubles flights en route to their sixth consecutive win as the Mountain Hawks downed Villanova 6-1 Saturday at the Lewis Tennis Center. Seniors Matt Savran and Andrew Krentz, along with sophomore Ben Gilman won in both doubles and singles for Lehigh, which improves to 7-1 on the season.
Gilman and Krentz started Lehigh off well with a win at No. 3 doubles, 8-4 over Ryan Peyton and Chris Seitz. Villanova (0-2) posted a win at No. 1 doubles, but Lehigh’s second team of Savran and freshman Jeremy Kochman downed Tim Abbraciamento and Michael Rosengren 8-5 to give the Mountain Hawks a 1-0 lead in the match.
Savran extended Lehigh’s lead with a concvincing 6-2, 6-0 win over Peyton at No. 4 singles and Petersen put Lehigh up 3-0 after downing Max Levine 6-2, 6-1 at No. 3 singles. Gilman helped clinch the match for the Mountain Hawks, winning 7-6, 7-5 over Thomas O’Brien at the top singles flight, while junior Mark Goldberg won the first set over Chris Seitz at No. 2 singles. Seitz answered by winning the second set 6-2 before Goldberg blanked Seitz in the third to close out the match.
Krentz added a 6-3, 6-4 win over Rosengren at No. 5 singles, while Villanova’s lone point came from Abbraciamento’s straight set win over Kochman at No. 6 singles.
The Mountain Hawks, who are now 7-0 at home, will close out a seven match home stand when they host Temple on Sunday March 3 at 10 a.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 6, Villanova 1
1. O’Brien/Donaldson (VU) def. Goldberg/Petersen (LU) 8-5
2. Savran/Kochman (LU) def. Abbraciamento/Rosengren (VU) 8-5
3. Gilman/Krentz (LU) def. Peyton/Seitz (VU) 8-4
1. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Thomas O’Brien (VU) 7-6 (2), 7-5
2. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Chris Seitz (VU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-0
3. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Max Levine (VU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Matt Savran (LU) def. Ryan Peyton (VU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Michael Rosengren (VU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Tim Abbraciamento (VU) def. Jeremy Kochman (LU) 6-2, 6-1