BETHLEHEM, Pa. – In a tightly contested battle, Lehigh picked up its fourth straight victory, edging Delaware 4-3 Sunday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks lost the doubles point in a tiebreak, but rallied to win four singles matches, including the clincher from freshman Dan Goldblum at No. 6 singles. All three Lehigh freshmen won singles matches as the Mountain Hawks improved to 4-1 on the season.
Doubles action featured three incredibly close matches. Lehigh’s top team of sophomore Mark Goldberg and freshman Mitchell Petersen won 8-6 over Troy Beneck and Adam Lawton, but Delaware evened things up when Nolan Gelman and Evan Andrews edged junior Andrew Krentz and sophomore Timur Chernykh 9-7 at No. 3 doubles. The first point of the match came down to No. 2 doubles where Andre Vorobyov won a tiebreak over junior Matt Savran and freshman Ben Gilman 7-3 to earn the 9-8 win and give Delaware the early 1-0 lead.
Gilman and Petersen keyed Lehigh’s comeback in singles play with early wins. Gilman won 6-3, 6-1 over Gelman at No. 4 singles, while Petersen dropped his first set to Lawton but rallied for a 3-6, 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 2 singles.
Delaware answered with wins at No.1 and No. 3 singles, but the Mountain Hawks pulled through in the bottom two singles flights. Krentz defeated Ryan Kent 7-6, 6-3 at No. 5 singles to tie the match at three, and in the decisive match at No. 6 singles, Goldblum delivered the clincher for Lehigh for the second time in as many weeks with a 7-6, 6-3 win over Jason Derene.
Lehigh will continue its home stand with two more matches next weekend. The Mountain Hawks will face Monmouth Friday at 4 p.m. and Drexel Sunday at 2 p.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 4, Delaware 3
1. Goldberg/Petersen (LU) def. Beneck/Lawton (UD) 8-6
2. Vorobyov/Kent (UD) def. Savran/Gilman (LU) 9-8
3. Gelman/Andrews (UD) def. Krentz/Chernykh (LU) 9-7
1. Troy Beneck (UD) def. Mark Goldberg (LU) 7-6, 6-2
2. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Adam Lawton (UD) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. Andre Vorobyov (UD) def. Matt Savran (LU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Nolan Gelman (UD) 6-3, 6-1
5. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Ryan Kent (UD) 7-6, 6-3
6. Dan Goldblum (LU) def. Jason Derene (UD) 7-6, 6-3