BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh received singles wins from sophomore Mark Goldberg and freshman Ben Gilman, but it wasn’t enough as Binghamton handed the Mountain Hawks their second straight loss, 5-2 Saturday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks were unable to bounce back after dropping their five-hour 4-3 heartbreaker to Stony Brook on Saturday as they fall to 6-3 this season.
In doubles play, Lehigh started fast with the duo of Gilman and junior Matt Savran winning 8-2 over Robin Lesage and Ruben Haggai, but the Bearcats picked up a win at No. 3 doubles as Ismael Dinia and Alexandre Haggai won 8-4 over junior Andrew Krentz and sophomore Timur Chernykh. The doubles point came down to No. 1 doubles, where Bastian Bornkessel and Ruben Devos edged Goldberg and freshman Mitchell Petersen 9-7 to give Binghamton an early 1-0 lead.
Binghamton extended its lead at No. 6 singles as Ruben Haggain downed freshman DJ Goldblum in straight sets. Alexandre Haggain followed with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Petersen to put the Bearcats on the verge of clinching the match.
Goldberg put Lehigh on the scoreboard with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Ruben Devos at No. 1 singles, but Binghamton clinched the match at No. 5 singles as Dinia won 6-4, 7-5 over Krentz. Krentz was serving for the set but Dinia rallied to win the final three games.
Gilman accounted for the Mountain Hawks’ other point with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Bornkessel at No. 3 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will now take to the road for two matches next weekend. Lehigh will travel to James Madison on Friday for a 1 p.m. match before facing Georgetown in Washington, D.C. Saturday at 3 p.m.
Binghamton 5, Lehigh 2
1. Bornkessel/Divos (BU) def. Goldberg/Petersen (LU) 9-7
2. Gilman/Savran (LU) def. Lesage/R. Haggain (BU) 8-2
3. Dinia/A. Haggai (BU) def. Krentz/Chernykh (LU) 8-4
1. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Ruben Devos (BU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Alexandre Haggai (BU) def. Mitchell Petersen (LU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Bastian Bornkessel (BU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Robin Lesage (BU) def. Matt Savran (LU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Ismael Dinia (BU) def. Andrew Krentz (LU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Ruben Haggai (BU) def. DJ Goldblum (LU) 6-0, 6-2