UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – In its 2012 spring season opener the Lehigh men’s tennis team fell 7-0 at Penn State Saturday afternoon. The Mountain Hawks competed hard against a tough Nittany Lion squad but the young Mountain Hawk squad that featured three freshmen starting was unable to secure a victory in its first match of the season.
Penn State improves to 2-1 with the victory, while Lehigh opens its season at 0-1. The Nittany Lions also swept St. Bonaventure by a 7-0 score Saturday morning.
“We had three freshmen out there who were definitely nervous,” said Lehigh head coach Dave Shook. “They did well though. It was a very good first match for them to get acclimated to college tennis.”
The Nittany Lions opened by taking the doubles point, with commanding 8-1 wins at the top two flights. Junior Andrew Krentz and sophomore Timur Chernykh had the closest match, losing 8-4 to C.J. Griffin and Bryan Welnetz at No. 3 doubles.
All three freshmen in Lehigh’s singles lineup won five games in their straight set losses. Mitchell Petersen got the nod at No. 2 singles, and fell 6-4, 6-1 to Tomas Hanzlik. Ben Gilman was competitive in the first set against Welnetz, before falling 7-5, 6-0 at No. 4 singles and Daniel Goldblum met Chris Young at No. 5 singles with Young prevailing 6-3, 6-2.
The closest singles match was at the top flight, where sophomore Mark Golberg battled hard against Russell Bader. The Nittany Lion needed a tiebreak to take the first set 7-6 and then won the second set 7-5.
The Mountain Hawks will open their home schedule next weekend when they host Fairleigh Dickinson Saturday at 2 p.m. and St. Francis (Pa.) Sunday at 10 a.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Penn State 7, Lehigh 0
1. Jason Lee/Russell Bader (PSU) def. Mark Goldberg/Mitchell Petersen (Lehigh), 8-1
2. Taylor Cohen/Christopher Hasyn (PSU) def. Matt Savran/Ben Gilman (Lehigh), 8-1
3. C.J. Griffin/Bryan Welnetz (PSU) def. Andrew Krentz/Timur Chernykh (Lehigh), 8-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Russell Bader (PSU) def. Mark Goldberg (Lehigh), 7-6 (4), 7-5
2. Tomas Hanzlik (PSU) def. Mitchell Petersen (Lehigh), 6-4, 6-1
3. Taylor Cohen (PSU) def. Matt Savran (Lehigh), 6-0, 6-1
4. Bryan Welnetz (PSU) def. Ben Gilman (Lehigh), 7-5, 6-0
5. Christopher Hasyn (PSU) def. Andrew Krentz (Lehigh), 6-1, 6-0
6. Chris Young (PSU) def. Daniel Goldblum (Lehigh), 6-3, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 4, 2, 5, 1, 6