BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team picked up its third straight win Saturday afternoon, downing Mount St. Mary’s 7-0 inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks won two of three doubles matches before sweeping all six singles matches. Lehigh has now won three straight matches after dropping its season opener at Penn State two weeks ago.
In doubles play, the Mountain Hawks received victories from their No. 1 and No. 3 teams to capture the first point of the match. Sophomore Mark Goldberg and freshman Mitchell Petersen won 8-3 over Matt Blake and Taylor Place at first doubles, while junior Andrew Krentz teamed with sophomore Timur Chernykh to win 8-4 at third doubles over Mike Zabetakis and Patrick McGinley.
Lehigh then proceeded to win the first four singles matches in straight sets to put the match away. Petersen enjoyed the most dominant victory, beating Adam Salam 6-1, 6-0 at No. 2 singles. Gilman dropped just two games in a 6-2, 6-0 win over Mike Salomon at No. 4 singles. Goldberg dropped just two games in each set in a win at No. 1 singles, while Savran won a tight first set 7-5 over Zabetakis before claiming the second set 6-0.
With the match clinched, Krentz rallied from a set down to defeat Place in a ten-point third set tiebreak at No. 5 singles, while freshman Dan Goldblum handled Patrick McGinley 6-2, 6-2 at No. 6 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will try for their fourth straight win Sunday when they host Delaware at 2 p.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 7, Mount St. Mary’s 0
1. Goldberg/Petersen (LU) def. Blake/Place (MSM) 8-3
2. Salomon/Salam (MSM) def. Savran/Gilman (LU) 8-6
3. Krentz/Chernykh (LU) def. Zabetakis/McGinley (MSM) 8-4
1. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Matt Blake (MSM) 6-2, 6-2
2. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Adam Salam (MSM) 6-1, 6-0
3. Matt Savran (LU) def. Mike Zabetakis (MSM) 7-5, 6-0
4. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Mike Salomon (MSM) 6-2, 6-0
5. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Taylor Place (MSM) 4-6, 6-1, 10-7
6. Dan Goldblum (LU) def. Patrick McGinley (MSM) 6-2, 6-2