BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team snapped its two match losing streak with a gritty 5-2 win over Saint Joseph’s Tuesday night at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks lost the doubles point but reeled off wins at the last five singles flights to rally for the win as Lehigh improves to 11-3 on the season.
Saint Joseph’s captured two of the three doubles matches against Lehigh to take an early 1-0 lead in the match. Lehigh’s top doubles team of sophomore Mitchell Petersen and junior Mark Goldberg won 8-4 over Jeff Kessler and Dan Barrus. The Hawks posted wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 flights, clinching the doubles point as Andres Urrea and Tommy Gates won 805 over senior Andrew Krentz and sophomore Ben Gilman.
Petersen spurred the comeback charge in singles play with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Pierre Brondeau at the No. 2 flight. Senior Matt Savran then gave the Mountain Hawks a 2-1 lead with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Gates at the third flight.
The Hawks posted a second point at the top singles flight as Jose Sierra finished a straight set win over Gilman with a second set tiebreak win.
The match at No. 4 singles went to three sets as Krentz lost the first set against Kessler 5-7 but rallied to take the next two sets 6-1, 6-4. Junior Timur Chernykh clinched the match for the Mountain Hawks with an impressive 6-2, 6-0 win over Max Montague at No. 5 singles. Freshman Jeremy Kochman closed the match with a win over Barrus in a third-set ten-point tiebreak, which he won 12-10.
The Mountain Hawks will open Patriot League play this weekend when they face Holy Cross Saturday and Army Sunday with both matches being played at West Point, N.Y.
Lehigh 5, Saint Joseph’s 2
1. Petersen/Goldberg (LU) def. Kessler/Barrus (SJU) 8-4
2. Montague/Sierra (SJU) def. Savran/Kochman (LU) 8-0
3. Urrea/T. Gates (SJU) def. Gilman/Krentz (LU) 8-5
1. Jose Sierra (SJU) def. Ben Gilman (LU) 6-3, 7-6 (1)
2. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Pierre Brondeau (SJU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Matt Savran (LU) def. Tommy Gates (SJU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Jeff Kessler (SJU) 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
5. Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Max Montague (SJU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Jeremy Kochman (LU) def. Dan Barrus (SJU) 6-3, 3-6, 12-10