Posted: 02/19/2012 | Last updated: February 19, 2012 at 06:09 PM
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh extended its winning streak to six straight matches, with a commanding 7-0 shutout of Drexel Sunday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks swept the three doubles matches, dropping just six games in the process and also captured all six singles matches in straight sets. Lehigh is now 6-1 on the season with the victory.
After missing Friday’s win over Monmouth, junior Matt Savran returned to the Lehigh lineup and teamed with freshman Ben Gilman to win 8-0 over Badr Ouabdelmoumen and Daniel Hansen at No. 2 doubles. The Mountain Hawks picked up 8-3 wins at first and third doubles to carry a 1-0 lead into singles play.
Freshman D.J. Goldblum was first on the courts against Paul Stauskas at No. 6 singles. Goldblum extended Lehigh’s to 2-0 with a 6-4, 6-2 win. Goldblum and the other Mountain Hawk freshmen continued their recent strong play to help Lehigh clinch the match. Gilman won 6-1, 6-1 over Bryan Nguyen at No. 3 singles, while Mitchell Petersen clinched the match for the Mountain Hawks with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Jeganathan Srinivasan at No. 2 singles.
Sophomore Mark Goldberg made it four straight singles wins for Lehigh, disposing of Ouabdelmoumen in straight sets at No. 1 singles. Savran and classmate Andrew Krentz closed out Lehigh’s sixth straight win with straight set wins at No. 4 and No. 5 singles respectively.
The Mountain Hawks will wrap-up their eight match home stand next weekend when they host Stony Brook Friday at 4 p.m. and Binghamton Saturday at 2 p.m.
Lehigh 7, Drexel 0
1. Goldberg/Petersen (LU) def. Nguyen/Srinivasan (DU) 8-3
2. Gilman/Savran (LU) def. Ouabdelmoumen/Hansen (DU) 8-0
3. Krentz/Chernykh (LU) def. Davis/Koehler (DU) 8-3
1. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Badr Ouabdelmoumen (DU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Jeganathan Srinivasan (DU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Bryan Nguyen (DU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Matt Savran (LU) def. Skylar Davis (DU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Darius Frick (DU) 6-1, 6-2
6. DJ Goldblum (LU) def. Paul Stauskas (DU) 6-4, 6-2