MELBOURNE, Fla. – A trip to sunny Florida for the first outdoor match of the season could not cool down the Lehigh men’s tennis team as the Mountain Hawks opened their spring break trip with their eighth consecutive win, 8-1 over Florida Tech Monday at the Fee Avenue Courts. The Mountain Hawks swept the doubles matches and won five of six singles matches to improve to 9-1 on the season.
The match was played under Division II scoring with all nine matches counting for a point apiece.
Lehigh began the day by sweeping the three doubles matches, two of which were tightly contested. The Mountain Hawks’ top team of sophomore Mitchell Petersen and junior Mark Goldberg edged Nicolas Clerc and Patrick Hernandez 8-6 while the No. 3 team of sophomore Ben Gilman and senior Andrew Krentz held off Riley Lorenz and Barry Dylewski 9-7. Lehigh’s No. 2 team of senior Matt Savran and freshman Jeremy Kochman posted a convincing 8-1 win over Teddy Fournier and Matic Leskovar.
In singles play, the Panthers won at No. 1 singles as Clerc bested Gilman 6-1, 6-0, but the Mountain Hawks won the remaining five matches. Petersen, Savran, junior Timur Chernykh and Kochman were all straight set winners at the No. 2, 3, 5 and 6 flights. At fourth singles, Krentz dropped the first set to Leskovar 3-6 but rallied to take the second 7-5 before winning a ten point tiebreak 10-8.
The Mountain Hawks will continue their four-match spring break trip when they take on Fairfield at 11 a.m. Tuesday in Melbourne, Fla.
Lehigh 8, Florida Tech 1
1. Petersen/Goldberg (LU) def. Clerc/Hernandez (FT) 8-6
2. Savran/Kochman (LU) def. Fournier/Leskovar (FT) 8-1
3. Gilman/Krentz (LU) def. Lorenz/Dylewski (FT) 9-7
1. Nicolas Clerc (FT) def. Ben Gilman (LU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Riley Lorenz (FT) 6-4, 6-2
3. Matt Savran (LU) def. Patrick Hernandez (FT) 7-5, 6-3
4. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Matic Leskovar (FT) 3-6, 7-5, 10-8
5. Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Barry Dylewski (FT) 6-2, 6-3
6. Jeremy Kochman (LU) def. Zach Eichholz (FT) 6-2, 6-4