BETHLEHEM, Pa. – In its final tune-up before Patriot League play begins next weekend, Lehigh downed Loyola (Md.) by a 6-1 score Sunday inside the Lewis Tennis Center. Despite playing without junior Andrew Krentz and sophomore Mark Goldberg, the Mountain Hawks won two of three doubles matches and the first five singles flights to improve to 8-5 on the season.
Lehigh opened up by winning the doubles point with wins at the bottom two flights. At No. 2 doubles sophomore Timur Chernykh and freshman Mitchell Petersen won 8-5 over Keyan Sanai and Bobby Gorczakowski, while freshman DJ Goldblum and senior Edgars Rauza clinched the first point of the match with an 8-6 win over Connor Lisco and Patrick Glaessner.
In singles play, Lehigh’s top three of freshman Ben Gilman, Petersen and junior Matt Savran all posted convincing straight set victories. Goldblum moved up to No. 4 singles and won 6-4, 7-6 over Gorczakowski and Chernykh played at No. 5 downing Lisco 6-3, 6-0. Loyola’s lone point came from a third set ten point tiebreak win at No. 6 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court next Sunday when they open league play at Navy. The match is set for a 2:30 p.m. start in Annapolis, Md.
Lehigh 6, Loyola 1
1. Norton/Zingler (Loy) def. Gilman/Savran (LU) 9-8 (5)
2. Chernykh/Petersen (LU) def. Sanai/Gorczakowski (Loy) 8-5
3. Goldblum/Rauza (LU) def. Lisco/Glaessner (Loy) 8-6
1. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Keyan Sanai (Loy) 6-0, 6-4
2. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Pierce Norton (Loy) 6-3, 6-3
3. Matt Savran (LU) def. Kevin Zingler (Loy) 6-1, 6-1
4. DJ Goldblum (LU) def. Bobby Gorczakowski (Loy) 6-4, 7-6
5. Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Connor Lisco (Loy) 6-3, 6-0
6. Harrison Kunkel (Loy) def. Edgars Rauza (LU) 6-2, 2-6, 10-6