BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team won its seventh straight match, completing a perfect 7-0 home stand with a 6-1 win over Temple Sunday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks captured two of three doubles matches and won five singles matches to improve to 8-1 heading into their spring break trip to Florida next weekend.
The doubles point came down to a tiebreak at the No. 1 flight after Lehigh’s No. 3 team of sophomore Ben Gilman and senior Andrew Krentz won 8-5 over Nicolas Paulus and Hernan Vasconez; and the Owls’ No. 2 team of Kristian Marquart and Sam Rundle won 8-5 over Lehigh senior Matt Savran and freshman Jeremy Kochman.
At the top doubles flight junior Mark Goldberg and sophomore Mitchell Petersen went to a tiebreak against Kacper Rams and Santiago Cantete, which the Mountain Hawk team won 7-3 to win the match 9-8.
Lehigh then clinched its seventh straight win with straight set victories at the top four singles flights. Gilman and Goldberg claimed 6-2, 6-2 wins over Rams and Marquart at the first and second flights respectively. Savran won 6-1, 6-1 over Canete at No. 4 singles to clinch the match, while Petersen posted a 6-3, 6-0 decision over Hicham Belkssir at No. 3 singles.
Sophomore DJ Goldblum won 6-4, 6-2 over Rundle at No. 6 singles, while Temple claimed its only point at No. 5 singles as Paulus won a third set ten point tiebreak over Krentz.
The Mountain Hawks will head to Florida next weekend for four matches over spring break, beginning Monday March 11 when Lehigh meets Florida Tech in Melbourne, Fla.
Lehigh 6, Temple 1
1. Petersen/Goldberg (LU) def. Rams/Canete (TU) 9-8 (3)
2. Marquart/Rundle (TU) def. Savran/Kochman (LU) 8-5
3. Gilman/Krentz (LU) def. Paulus/Vasconez (TU) 8-5
1. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Kacper Rams (TU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Mark Goldberg (LU) def. Kristian Marquart (TU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Hicham Belkssir (TU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Matt Savran (LU) def. Santiago Canete (TU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Nicolas Paulus (TU) def. Andrew Krentz (LU) 4-6, 7-5, 10-7
6. DJ Goldblum (LU) def. Sam Rundle (TU) 6-4, 6-2