Posted: 03/19/2012 | Last updated: March 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM
MERION STATION, Pa. – In a tightly contested match that went down to the wire, Lehigh dropped a 4-3 decision to Saint Joseph’s Sunday at the SJU Tennis Complex. The Hawks won the doubles point and prevailed in three of six singles matches to hold off the Mountain Hawks as Lehigh falls to 7-4 on the season.
The doubles point came down to a tiebreak at No. 2 doubles, where the Hawks’ team of Dan Barrus and Tommy Gates prevailed in a tiebreak to defeat junior Andrew Krentz and sophomore Chernykh 9-8.
Saint Joseph’s also posted straight set wins at No. 3 and No. 6 singles. Freshmen Ben Gilman and Mitchell Petersen got Lehigh going witn wins at the top two singles flights. Gilman won 7-5, 6-4 over Alex Veronis at the top flight, while Petersen downed Gates 2-6, 6-4, 6-2 at No. 2 singles.
The Hawks claimed the fourth and deciding point at No. 5 singles as Max Montague held off freshman DJ Goldblum in a three-set match 4-6, 6-1, 6-1. Krentz delivered the third Lehigh point with a win at No. 4 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Sunday when they host Loyola (Md.) at 10 a.m.
Saint Joseph’s 4, Lehigh 3
1. Gilman/Savran (LU) def. Kessler Montague (SJU) 8-5
2. Barrus/Gates (SJU) def. Chernykh/Krentz (LU) 9-8 (1)
3. Cognetti/Veronis (SJU) def. Goldblum/Petersen (LU) 8-4
1. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Alex Veronis (SJU) 7-5, 6-4
2. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Tommy Gates (SJU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Dan Barrus (SJU) def. Matt Savran (LU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Erik Thunberg (SJU) 7-5, 5-7, 12-10
5. Max Montague (SJU) def. DJ Goldblum (LU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
6. Pierre Brondeau (SJU) def. Edgars Rauza (LU) 6-2, 6-4