Posted: 04/07/2012 | Last updated: April 7, 2012 at 06:03 PM
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team picked its first Patriot League win of the season Saturday as the Mountain Hawks downed Colgate by a 6-1 score. It was a strong overall performance for the Mountain Hawks who swept through the doubles matches and won five of six singles matches to improve to 9-6 overall and 1-1 in the Patriot League.
Saturday’s match featured doubles play outdoors on the Ulrich Varsity Courts before strong winds forced the teams inside for singles play.
In doubles play, Lehigh’s No. 2 team of sophomore Mark Goldberg and freshman Mitchell Petersen opened things with an 8-2 win over Bobby Berkowitz and Harry Jewett. The No. 3 team of junior Andrew Krentz and sophomore Timur Chernykh clinched the doubles point for Lehigh with an 8-3 win over Luke Gensburg and John Beam. Lehigh’s top team of junior Matt Savran and freshman Ben Gilman won in a tiebreak at No. 1 doubles to complete the Mountain Hawk sweep.
Lehigh extended its lead in singles play as Petersen defeated Alec Goldstein 6-0, 6-1 at No. 3 singles and Gilman won 6-1, 6-4 over Berkowitz at No. 2 singles. Savran delivered the clinching point with a 7-6, 6-1 win over Alan Pleat at No. 4 singles.
Colgate’s lone point came at No. 1 singles as Gensburg topped Goldberg after the Lehigh sophomore retired down 4-2 in the third set. Krentz and freshman DJ Goldblum closed out the match with straight-set wins at No. 5 and No. 6 singles respectively.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the courts on Friday when they open a stretch of three home matches in five days against Marist. First serves are set for 4 p.m.
Lehigh 6, Colgate 1
1. Savran/Gilman (LU) def. Goldstein/Lewis (CU) 8-7 (2)
2. Petersen/Goldberg (LU) def. Berkowitz/Jewett (CU) 8-2
3. Krentz/Chernykh (LU) def. Gensburg/Beam (CU) 8-3
1. Luke Gensburg (CU) def. Mark Goldberg (LU) 2-6, 7-5, 4-2, retired
2. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Bobby Berkowitz (CU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Alec Goldstein (CU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Matt Savran (LU) def. Alan Pleat (CU) 7-6 (4), 6-1
5. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Connor Feuille (CU) 6-2, 6-3
6. DJ Goldblum (LU) def. John Beam (CU) 6-1, 6-2