BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team enjoyed a strong showing as the hosts of the Lehigh Invitational, which wrapped-up Sunday on the Goodman Campus. There was no official team scoring on the weekend, but Lehigh came up on the positive side of the ledger against all four opponents it faced: Loyola (Md.), Delaware, Saint Francis (Pa.) and Bucknell.
The Mountain Hawks opened things up Friday afternoon against Loyola and dropped just two matches to the Greyhounds. Lehigh won seven of eight singles matches and three of four doubles matches. All seven singles wins were in straight sets, while sophomore Mitchell Petersen lost in a ten point super tiebreak in his match at No. 2 singles.
The Mountain Hawks top doubles team of Petersen and classmate Ben Gilman lost to Bobby Corczakowski and Connor Pietrak, but its next three teams all posted wins by 8-5 margins. Senior Matt Savran teamed with freshman Jeremy Kochman at No. 2 doubles, senior Andrew Krentz played alongside junior Timur Chernykh at No. 3 doubles and freshman Ricardo Prince and sophomore D.J. Goldblum comprised Lehigh’s fourth doubles team.
On Saturday Lehigh squared off against Delaware in singles and doubles and Saint Francis (Pa.) in singles. The Mountain Hawks and Blue Hens split four doubles matches, with the top two teams of Gilman and Petersen and Savran and Kochman winning for the Brown and White. Lehigh also won four of seven singles matches against the Blue Hens. Overall six of the seven matches needed third set ten point tiebreaks, with Gilman, Krentz, Kochman and Chernykh posting wins for the Mountain Hawks.
Lehigh then proceeded to win six of eight singles matches against the Red Flash. Kochman improved to 3-0 in singles on the weekend, while Savran moved to 2-0 after winning 10-1 in a third set tiebreak. Petersen, Chernykh, Goldblum and Prince also added singles wins against the Red Flash.
The weekend concluded with Lehigh playing three doubles matches and six singles matches against Bucknell. If it were a regular season match the Bison would have claimed the doubles point, with wins at first and third singles, while Savran and Kochman posted a doubles win for Lehigh. The Mountain Hawks rallied to win four singles matches with Gilman winning in straight sets and Petersen, Krentz and Prince prevailing in third set ten point tiebreaks.
Next weekend Gilman and Petersen will take part in the ITA Regionals in New Haven, Conn. The Mountain Hawks will close out their fall season when they host another fall invitational October 26-28 inside the Lewis Tennis Center and on the Ulrich Varsity Courts.
Lehigh vs. Loyola (Md.)
Singles (7-1 Lehigh)
1. Ben Gilman (Lehigh) def. Connor Pietrak (Loyola) 6-2, 6-0
2. Bobby Gorczakowski (Loyola) def. Mitchell Petersen (Lehigh) 6-2, 4-6, 11-9
3. Matt Savran (Lehigh) def. Harrison Kunkel (Loyola) 6-0, 6-2
4. Andrew Krentz (Lehigh) def. Jordan Kuchta (Loyola) 6-0, 6-3
5. Jeremy Kochman (Lehigh) def. Alex Castro (Loyola) 6-1, 6-4
6. Timur Chernykh (Lehigh) def. Keishi Goto (Loyola) 6-1, 6-2
7. DJ Goldblum (Lehigh) def. Tim Dowd (Loyola) 6-0, 6-1
8. Ricardo Prince (Lehigh) def. C.J. Chameau (Loyola) 6-0, 6-2
Doubles (3-1 Lehigh)
1. Gorczakowski/Pietrak (Loyola) def. Gilman/Petersen (Lehigh) 8-6
2. Savran/Kochman (Lehigh) def. Kunkel/Goto (Loyola) 8-5
3. Krentz/Chernykh (Lehigh) def. Kuchta/Olesnycky (Loyola) 8-5
4. Prince/Goldblum (Lehigh) def. Castro/Chemeau (Loyola) 8-5
Lehigh vs. Delaware
Doubles (2-2 Tied)
1. Gilman/Petersen (LU) def. Beneck/Lawton (UD) 8-5
2. Savran/Kochman (LU) def. Gelman/Andrews (UD) 8-4
3. Kent/Derene (UD) def. Chernykh/Krentz (LU) 9-7
4. Furr/Sweet (UD) def. Goldblum/Prince (LU) 8-6
Singles (4-3 Lehigh)
1. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Troy Beneck (UD) 7-6, 5-7, 10-8
2. Adam Lawton (UD) def. Mitchell Petersen (LU) 6-1, 3-6, 10-4
3. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Nolan Gelman (UD) 6-1, 6-7, 10-7
4. Jeremy Kochman (LU) def. Evan Andrews (UD) 6-4, 2-6, 10-7
5. Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Jason Derene (UD) 6-1, 6-7, 11-9
6. Ryan Kent (UD) def. D.J. Goldblum (LU) 6-0, 7-5
7. Alex Sweet (UD) def. Ricardo Prince (LU) 6-1, 5-7, 13-11
Lehigh vs. Saint Francis (Pa.)
Singles (6-2 Lehigh)
1. Washi Gervais (SFU) def. Ben Gilman (LU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Andres Rosa (SFU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Matt Savran (LU) def. Sergio Carvajal (SFU) 6-3, 4-6, 10-1
4. Chris Jimenez (SFU) def. Andrew Krentz (SFU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Jeremy Kochman (LU) def. Stefan Groot (SFU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Timur Chernykh (LU) def. Lawson Barter (SFU) 6-4, 6-4
7. D.J. Goldblum (LU) def. Juan Pardo (SFU) 4-6, 6-2, 10-4
8. Ricardo Prince (LU) def. Mat Jurjevich (SFU) 6-1, 6-0
Lehigh vs. Bucknell
Doubles (2-1 Bucknell)
1. Zimmer/Katten (BU) def. Gilman/Petersen (LU) 8-4
2. Savran/Kochman (LU) def. Canibe/Morque (BU) 8-2
3. Tortora/DeFrancesch (BU) def. Krentz/Chernykh (LU) 9-7
Singles (4-2 Lehigh)
1. Ben Gilman (LU) def. Kelly Morque (BU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Mitchell Petersen (LU) def. Evan Zimmer (BU) 6-3, 4-6, 10-6
3. Andrew Krentz (LU) def. Octavio Canibe (BU) 5-7, 6-4, 10-6
4. Jonathan DeFrancesch (BU) def. Jeremy Kochman (LU) 7-6, 6-4
5. Chris Tortora (BU) def. Timur Chernykh (LU) 7-5, 1-6, 10-8
6. Ricardo Prince (LU) def. Roy Skinner (BU) 4-6, 2-6, 10-5