Posted: March 5, 2008
MELBOURNE, Fla. – Lehigh completed its spring break trip to Florida with a 2-0 record as the Mountain Hawks defeated Sacred Heart 5-2 Wednesday at the DeSoto Tennis Club. The Mountain Hawks won two doubles matches to secure the first point and then won four of six singles matches to earn head coach Dave Shook his 199th career win as men’s coach, as the Brown and White improve to 3-4 on the season.
The Mountain Hawks’ freshmen continued to get the job done as Troy List and Arnaldo Pacheco were both victorious in both singles and doubles action. List teamed with senior John Nespoli to defeat Kirill Kasyanov and Nick Mazzarese 8-6 at No. 1 doubles. Pacheco teamed with classmate Cameron Silbert to edge Jinal Shah and Cole Conrad by the same 8-6 score.
In singles play, List and Pacheco won in straight sets at second and fifth flights respectively. Junior Mike Gordon was a winner at No. 4 singles, beating Shah 6-4, 6-4, and freshman Chris Collins won easily at No. 6 singles, 6-0, 6-2 over Cole Conrad.
Sacred Heart earned its two points after winning third set ten point tiebreaks at first and third singles. The Pioneers are now 4-5 in spring play.
The Mountain Hawks will try to pick up coach Shook’s 200th men’s win when they return to the courts on Saturday, March 15, as they welcome the Purple Eagles of Niagara to the Lewis Tennis Center at 10:00 a.m.
Lehigh 5 Sacred Heart 2
1. Nespoli/List (LU) def. Kasyanov/Mazzarese (SHU) 8-6
2. Syer/Ujkic (SHU) def. J.T. Bolcar/Herbert (LU) 9-7
3. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) def. Shah/Conrad (SHU) 8-6
1. Kirill Kasyanov (SHU) def. John Nespoli (LU) 2-6, 6-4, 10-7
2. Troy List (LU) def. Mike Syer (SHU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Nick Mazzarese (SHU) def. J.T. Bolcar (LU) 6-1, 5-7, 10-6
4. Mike Gordon (LU) def. Jinal Shah (SHU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Arnaldo Pacheco (LU) def. Chris Ujkic (SHU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Chris Collins (LU) def. Cole Conrad (SHU) 6-0, 6-2