Posted: March 3, 2008
MELBOURNE, Fla. – Lehigh opened up its spring break trip to Florida with a 5-4 victory over Division II Florida Tech Monday on the DeSoto Tennis Courts. The Mountain Hawks received a big boost from their freshmen in their first outdoor match of the season. All three of Lehigh’s singles wins were by freshmen, as the Brown and White won their second match of the season. Florida Tech falls to 4-6.
Division II matches are played to best-of-nine points as opposed to Division I best-of-seven. Lehigh won two of three doubles matches to take a 2-1 lead, then earned the necessary split in singles, earning straight set wins from Troy List at No. 2 singles, Arnaldo Pacheco at No. 5 singles and Chris Collins at No. 6 singles.
In doubles action, Lehigh lost at No. 1 doubles, but picked up wins at the second and third flights. At No. 2 doubles, senior Brent Herbert and sophomore J.T. Bolcar teamed to beat Drew Hollis and Joel Zahlan 8-6, while at the third flight Pacheco teamed with classmate Cameron Silbert to knock off James McLane and David Fowler 8-4.
The Mountain Hawks will wrap up their trip to Florida on Wednesday when they meet the Sacred Heart Pioneers at noon.
Lehigh 5 Florida Tech 4
1. Hanna/Pate (FT) def. Nespoli/List (LU) 8-3
2. Herbert/J.T. Bolcar (LU) def. Hollis/Zahlan (FT) 8-6
3. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) def. McLane/Fowler (FT) 8-4
1. James McLane (FT) def. John Nespoli (LU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Troy List (LU) def. Joel Zahlan (FT) 6-1, 6-3
3. David Fowler (FT) def. Mike Gordon (LU) 6-0, 6-4
4. D.J. Pate (FT) def. J.T. Bolcar (LU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Arnaldo Pacheco (LU) def. Drew Hollis (FT) 6-2, 6-1
6. Chris Collins (LU) def. Alandre Melton (FT) 6-3, 6-1