Posted: February 10, 2008
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh saw its record drop to 3-3 as the Mountain Hawks were blanked by Temple 7-0 Sunday afternoon inside the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks battled hard despite the results, but the tough Owl squad swept the three doubles matches and won all six singles matches, five of the six in straight sets.
After sweeping through the doubles matches and the first three singles flights, junior Ruthie Furman tried to stop the Temple run, winning the first set from Christine Clermont at fourth singles. Furman’s match was the only Lehigh match to go to three sets, as Clermont rallied to win in the third set ten point tiebreak. Lehigh also had a shot to extend the match at No. 6 singles to a third set tiebreak, but junior Victoria Vityuk was defeated in a second set tiebreak by Theresa Stangl.
The Mountain Hawks will be off next weekend, and will return to action on Friday February 22, when they host Towson at the Lewis Tennis Center at 3:30 p.m.
Temple 7 Lehigh 0
1. Pazderova/Stangl (TU) def. Schwartz/Furman (LU) 8-5
2. Senkina/Steiner (TU) def. Arthofer/Reich (LU) 8-1
3. Rukavyshnykova/Clermont (TU) def. Murasko-Blank/Jacobi (LU) 8-1
1. Elise Steiner (TU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Dina Senkina (TU) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Lucie Pazderova (TU) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Christine Clermont (TU) def. Ruthie Furman (LU) 4-6, 6-2, 10-3
5. Anastasiia Rukavyshnykova (TU) def. Stacey Reich (LU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Theresa Stangl (TU) def. Victoria Vityuk (LU) 6-2, 7-6 (2)