Posted: February 9, 2008
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The first win of the spring season for the Lehigh men’s tennis team proved to be historic, as head coach Dave Shook picked up his 300th career victory in the Mountain Hawks 7-0 win over Mount St. Mary’s Saturday afternoon inside the Lewis Tennis Center. Lehigh swept three doubles matches and all six singles matches to improve to 1-2 on the season.
After the match Lehigh players doused coach Shook with a bucket of ice water and presented the 19th year head coach with a cake commemorating the occasion. Shook now has 197 career men’s wins and 103 women’s wins at Lehigh. He picked up career win No. 299 earlier in the day when the Lehigh women shut out the Mountaineers 7-0.
After sweeping three matches to claim the doubles point, the Mountain Hawks wasted little time in singles clinching the victory. Junior Mike Gordon delivered the clincher with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Patrick Plastow at No. 3 singles, while four Mountain Hawks picked up their first varsity match win on Saturday: freshmen Troy List, Arnaldo Pacheco and Chris Collins, and sophomore Robbie Bolcar. Pacheco was the only Mountain Hawk whose match went to three sets, but he rallied from a set down to defeat Thad Mostowtt at No. 4 singles.
The Mountain Hawks are off next weekend and will return to action on February 23 when they host UConn and Maryland-Eastern Shore in a tri-meet beginning at 10 a.m. inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
Lehigh 7 Mount St. Mary’s 0
1. Nespoli/List (LU) def. Osorio/Marinucci (MSM) 8-2
2. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) def. Mostowtt/Dupaya (MSM) 8-2
3. Caminiti/Herbert (LU) def. Plastow/Poinier (MSM) 8-5
1. John Nespoli (LU) def. Favio Osorio (MSM) 6-2, 6-3
2. Troy List (LU) def. Andrew Marinicci (MSM) 6-3, 6-3
3. Mike Gordon (LU) def. Patrick Plastow (MSM) 6-3, 6-2
4. Arnaldo Pacheco (LU) def. Thad Mostowtt (MSM) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Chris Collins (LU) def. Rob Dupaya (MSM) 6-0, 6-2
6. Robbie Bolcar (LU) def. Mickey Poirier (MSM) 6-1, 6-2