Posted: February 9, 2008
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh’s earned head coach Dave Shook win No. 299 of his career with a convincing 7-0 win over Mount St. Mary’s Saturday afternoon at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks captured two of three doubles matches to win the first point, and then swept six singles contests to improve to 3-2 on the spring season.
Mount St. Mary’s picked up its only win at second doubles, but juniors Allie Schwartz and Ruthie Furman at first doubles and sophomore Julie Arthofer and freshman Kiera Murasko-Blank at third doubles picked up victories to put the home team up 1-0.
In singles play, Schwartz and Arthofer cruised to straight set wins, their first of the spring season. At third and fourth singles senior Alexis Jacobi and Furman both dropped the first set, but rebounded to win in three sets. Sophomore Stacey Reich and junior Victoria Vityuk earned straight set wins at the bottom two singles flights to close out the shutout win for the Brown and White.
Shook picked up his 300th career win later Saturday when the Lehigh men shut-out the Mountaineers by an identical 7-0 score.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Sunday when they host Temple. First serve from the Lewis Tennis Center is set for 11 a.m.
Lehigh 7 Mount St. Mary’s 0
1. Schwartz/Furman (LU) def. Hallahan/Johnson (MSM) 8-4
2. Bolchoz/Haley (MSM) def. Jacobi/Reich (LU) 8-4
3. Arthofer/Murasko-Blank (LU) def. Grugan/Wentzel (MSM) 8-3
1. Allie Schwartz (LU) def. Kaitlin Hallahan (MSM) 6-2, 6-4
2. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Chelsea Johnson (MSM) 6-2, 6-1
3. Alexis Jacobi (LU) def. Emily Bolchoz (MSM) 3-6, 7-5, 6-0
4. Ruthie Furman (LU) def. Emma Haley (MSM) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. Stacey Reich (LU) def. Emily Grugan (MSM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Victoria Vityuk (LU) def. Ashley Wentzel (MSM) 6-1, 6-4