Posted: February 7, 2008
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh saw its two match winning streak come to an end on Thursday as Rutgers brought one of its toughest teams in recent memory to the Lewis Tennis Center and came away with a 5-2 victory. The Scarlet Knights dropped just two games in sweeping the doubles point and then lost just six in four singles matches before defaulting the final two flights. The Mountain Hawks are now 2-2 on the season with the setback, while Rutgers remains undefeated at 4-0.
The Mountain Hawks two points came at fifth and sixth singles as Rutgers, already leading 5-0, defaulted to sophomore Stacey Reich and junior Victoria Vityuk respectively. The Scarlet Knights earned straight set wins in each of the first four flights, including a 6-0, 6-0 blanking of junior Allie Schwartz by Katrina Elder-Bush at first singles.
After missing the first three matches of the season due to illness, sophomore all-league performer Julie Arthofer returned to the Lehigh lineup, playing third doubles, and second singles. Arthofer was the only Mountain Hawk to win a game in both sets on Thursday, as she fell to Polina Zaretser 6-1, 6-1.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Saturday when they host Mount St. Mary’s at the Lewis Tennis Center with first serves set for 10 a.m.
Rutgers 5 Lehigh 2
1. Zaretser/Zhang (RU) def. Schwartz/Furman (LU) 8-1
2. Elder-Bush/Baker (RU) def. Jacobi/Reich (LU) 8-0
3. Arlak/Tran (RU) def. Arthofer/Vityuk (LU) 8-1
1. Katrina Elder-Bush (RU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Polina Zaretser (RU) def. Julie Arthofer (LU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Amy Zhang (RU) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Caitlin Baker (RU) def. Ruthie Furman (LU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Stacey Reich (LU) def. Katherine Arlak (RU) default
6. Victoria Vityuk (LU) def. Christine Tran (RU) default