Mountain Hawks fall to FDU in home opener
Posted: February 3, 2008
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team opened its home schedule on Sunday, but visiting Fairleigh Dickinson swept the doubles matches and won five singles matches in a 6-1 victory over the Mountain Hawks at the Lewis Tennis Center. Junior Mike Gordon won a ten point third set tiebreak for Lehigh’s only point as the Mountain Hawks fall to 0-2 on the season.
The Knights started by sweeping all three doubles contests to capture the first point. Fairleigh Dickinson added wins at first, second and fourth singles to clinch the victory. Gordon delivered Lehigh’s lone point with a hard-fought 7-6, 1-6, 10-8 victory over Pritt Gross at No. 3 singles.
The Mountain Hawks will return to action on Saturday when they host Mount St. Mary’s at 1 p.m.
Fairleigh Dickinson 6 Lehigh 1
1. Stephens/Girling (FDU) def. Nespoli/List (LU) 8-5
2. Gross/Nace (FDU) def. Pacheco/Silbert (LU) 8-5
3. Eddins/Spen (FDU) def. Collins/R. Bolcar (LU) 8-3
1. Phil Stephens (FDU) def. John Nespoli (LU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Josh Girling (FDU) def. Troy List (LU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Mike Gordon (LU) def. Pritt Gross (FDU) 7-6, 1-6, 10-8
4. Kyle Eddins (FDU) def. Arnaldo Pacheco (LU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Justin Spen (FDU) def. Rob Bolcar (LU) 6-4, 6-5
6. Alex Nace (FDU) def. Cameron Silbert (LU) 8-3