PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Five Mountain Hawks made their spring varsity debuts, but they could not help Lehigh get past a tough Brown squad, as the Bears picked up a 7-0 victory over Lehigh Saturday inside the Pizzitola Sports Center. Brown swept all three doubles matches and six singles matches to improve to 4-1 overall, while Lehigh’s team of one senior, one junior and five newcomers fought hard while getting acclimated to college tennis.
Head coach Dave Shook was pleased with the effort of his top doubles team, as senior John Nespoli and freshman Troy List challenged Brown’s Surabh Kohli and Chris Lee, losing just 8-5. Sophomore twin newcomers Rob and JT Bolcar made their debuts in a losing effort at second doubles, while freshmen Arnaldo Pacheco and Cameron Silbert manned third doubles for the Brown and White.
In singles action, Nespoli stepped up to the top spot, but fell 6-3, 6-2 to Kohli. The Bears won all six singles matches in straight sets, with junior Mike Gordon the only other Mountain Hawk with prior experience to play, as he fell 6-1, 6-2 to Kendrick Au at No. 4 singles.
Lehigh will return to the courts on Sunday February 3, when the Mountain Hawks open their home schedule versus Fairleigh Dickinson. Match time is set for 10 a.m. from the Lewis Tennis Center.
1. Kohli/Lee (B) def. Nespoli/List (L) 8-5
2. Posner/Pearlman (B) def. Bolcar/Bolcar (L) 8-3
3. Au/Simmons (B) def. Pacheco/Sillent (L) 8-1
1. Saurabh Kohli (B) def. Jon Nespoli (L) 6-3, 6-2
2. Noah Gardner (B) def. Troy List (L) 6-2, 6-3
3. Sam Garland (B) def. JT Bolcar (L) 6-2, 6-2
4. Kendrick Au (B) def. Mike Gordon (L) 6-1, 6-2
5. Charlie Posner (B) def. Arnaldo Pacheco (L) 6-2, 6-0
6. Cody Simmons (B) def. Rob Bolcar (L) 6-4, 6-0