Posted: April 29, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh’s 2007 season came to an end on Sunday as the Mountain Hawks fell to top seed and defending league champion Army 4-0 in the Patriot League semifinals on the Ulrich Varsity Courts. The Black Knights won the first two doubles matches to capture the first point and added the first three singles matches to complete the shutout and advance to Monday’s championship match against Bucknell. The Mountain Hawks’ season comes to an end with a 7-12 record.
In doubles action, Army picked up wins at the top two flights to take a 1-0 lead. Niki Flach and Brooke Jones defeated Lehigh’s team of senior Gwen Dwyer and sophomore Allie Schwartz 8-1 at first doubles, while Sarah Giles Madden and Jessica Shurtz knocked off freshman Julie Arthofer and sophomore Ruthie Furman 8-4. With the point clinched, the final doubles match was not completed.
In singles play the Black Knights added wins at first, second and sixth singles. Flack defeated Dwyer 6-2, 6-1 at first singles, while Jones won easily over junior Alexis Jacobi 6-1, 6-0. Paige Ford picked up the fourth and final point to end the match with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Furman. Arthofer was the only Lehigh player to win a set, taking the first from Kristin Beehler at fourth singles, but the remaining three matches were not completed.
The top seeded Black Knights will face No. 3 Bucknell in Monday’s final, which will be played on Lehigh’s Ulrich Varsity Courts.
1. Flach/Jones, Army def. Dwyer/Schwartz, Lehigh 8-1
2. Giles-Madden/Jessica Shurtz, Army def. Arthofer/Furman, Lehigh 8-4
3. Beehler/Ford, Army vs. Murasko-Blank/Victoria Vityuk, Lehigh 7-6, DNF
1. Niki Flach, Army def. Gwen Dwyer, Lehigh 6-2, 6-1
2. Brooke Jones, Army def. Alexis Jacobi, Lehigh 6-1, 6-0
3. Sarah Giles-Madden, Army vs. Allison Schwartz, Lehigh 6-4, 2-1, DNF
4. Kristin Beehler, Army vs. Julie Arthofer, Lehigh 3-6, 4-1, DNF
5. Diana Alquero, Army vs. Francesca Murasko-Blank, Lehigh 6-3, 2-3, DNF
6. Paige Ford, Army def. Ruthie Furman, Lehigh 6-1, 6-4