Posted: April 28, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Playing its opening round Patriot League tournament match on its home court, Lehigh advanced to Sunday’s semifinals with a convincing 4-0 win over archrival Lafayette Saturday on the Ulrich Varsity Courts. The Mountain Hawks swept the doubles matches and won the first three singles matches to finish, under the first-to-four championship format. Lehigh improves to 7-11 on the season, and the fifth seeded Mountain Hawks will face top seed Army in Sunday’s semifinals.
Lehigh captured the first point of the match, winning all three doubles flights. Senior Gwen Dwyer and sophomore Allie Schwartz won 8-2 over Danielle Bailey and Lauren Clarke at first doubles. Sophomore Ruthie Furman and Julie Arthofer secured the first point for Lehigh with an 8-6 win over Julie Strang and Sarah Sykes at second doubles, while senior Cessa Murasko-Blank and sophomore Victoria Vityuk were winners over Ansley Scudder and Jacqui Bonder 8-5.
In singles play, Furman made it 2-0 Mountain hawks with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Bonder at sixth singles. At No. 3 singles Schwartz knocked off Scudder 6-3 and 6-0, and Dwyer delivered the clincher with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Strang.
With the victory, Lehigh has now won its last six matches against Lafayette.
In Saturday’s other first round match No. 3 seed Bucknell defeated No. 6 Holy Cross 4-0. The Bison will meet second seed Colgate in Sunday’s second semifinal.
The Mountain Hawks will take on top seed Army in Sunday’s first semifinal which gets underway at 10:00 am from Lehigh’s Ulrich Varsity Courts.
1. Dwyer/Schwartz, Lehigh def. Bailey/Clarke, Lafayette 8-2
2. Arthofer/Furman, Lehigh def. Strang/Sykes, Lafayette 8-6
3. Victoria Vityuk/Murasko-Blank, Lehigh def. Scudder/Bonder, Lafayette 8-5
1. Gwen Dwyer, Lehigh def. Julia Strang, Lafayette 6-1, 6-3
2. Alexis Jacobi, Lehigh vs. Danielle Bailey, Lafayette 6-4, DNF
3. Allison Schwartz, Lehigh def. Ansley Scudder, Lafayette 6-3, 6-0
4. Julie Arthofer, Lehigh vs. Lauren Clarke, Lafayette 6-4, 3-2, DNF
5. Francesca Murasko-Blank, Lehigh vs. Sarah Sykes, Lafayette 6-4, 2-1, DNF
6. Ruthie Furman, Lehigh def. Jacqui Bonder, Lafayette 6-2, 6-3
Order of singles finish: 6, 3, 1