Posted: April 21, 2007
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The Mountain Hawks’ 2007 season came to an end on Saturday Morning as Lehigh fell to Bucknell 4-0 in the opening round of the Patriot League tournament on the Navy Tennis Courts. The Bison won the doubles point taking the first two flights, then won the first three singles flights to finish to advance to Sunday’s semifinals against top seed Navy. Lehigh’s season ends at 3-14.
Bucknell took an early 1-0 lead with wins at first and second doubles. Ryan Sandburg and Jon Brenner knocked off Lehigh seniors Alfredo Fernandez-Concha and Brad Nelson 8-6 at first doubles, while Ira Rebeisen and Ben Young defeated sophomore Drew Balshi and junior Brent Herbert 8-2.
In singles play, the first three matches to finish all went the Bison’s way. Sandburg defeated junior John Nespoli 6-3, 6-1 at No. 2 singles; Zach Hascoe beat Balshi 6-3, 6-2 at No. 3 singles and Brenner knocked-off Herbert 6-0, 6-2 at No. 4 singles. Under championship rules, the remaining three matches were not finished.
The Mountain Hawks lose four seniors, Fernandez-Concha, Nelson, Ryan Lloyd and Evan Volkman, but will return five of six singles starters from Saturday’s match.
1. Sandburg/Brenner, Bucknell def. Fernandez-Concha/Nelson, Lehigh 8-6
2. Rebeisen/Young, Bucknell vs. Balshi/Herbert, Lehigh, 8-2
3. Hascoe/Bednarek, Bucknell def. Nespoli/Caminitti, Lehigh 7-4, DNF
1. Ira Rebeisen, Bucknell vs. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha, Lehigh 6-4, 5-0, DNF
2. Ryan Sandburg, Bucknell def. Jon Nespoli, Lehigh 6-3, 6-1
3. Zach Hascoe, Bucknell def. Drew Balshi, Lehigh 6-3, 6-2
4. Jon Brenner, Bucknell def. Brent Herbert, Lehigh 6-0, 6-2
5. Ben Young, Bucknell vs. Michael Gordon, Lehigh 6-1, 3-1, DNF
6. Daniel Bednarek, Bucknell vs. Brand Nelson, Lehigh DNF