Posted: April 19, 2007
WEST POINT, N.Y. – Playing in its final regular season match, Lehigh suffered its third straight league defeat as the Mountain Hawks were blanked 7-0 by Army Thursday inside the Lichtenberg Tennis Center. The defending Patriot League champion Black Knights won all three doubles matches and all six singles contests to drop the Mountain Hawks to 6-11 this season and 0-3 in the Patriot League. Lehigh dropped its final three matches to close out the regular season.
Army (13-10 overall, 5-0 Patriot League) swept the three doubles matches while losing no more than four games at any flight. The Black Knights then continued their dominance in singles play, winning all six flights in straight sets. The closest matches came at first, fourth and sixth singles. Senior Gwen Dwyer and sophomore Ruthie Furman did not go quietly, forcing second set tiebreakers before bowing out. Freshman Julie Arthofer won nine games, losing to Diana Alguero 6-4, 7-5 at No. 4 singles.
Lehigh will return to action on Saturday, April 28 when the Mountain Hawks will host the Patriot League tournament on the Ulrich Varsity Courts. All six Patriot League teams will qualify for the tournament, and Lehigh is guaranteed to play a first round match against an opponent still to be determined.
1. Flach/Giles-Madden (A) def. Dwyer/Schwartz (LU), 8-2
2. Beehler/Ford (A) def. Arthofer/Furman (LU), 8-2
3. Burke/Limsiaco (A) def. Murasko-Blank/Vityuk, 8-4
1. Niki Flach (A) def. Gwen Dwyer (LU), 6-2, 7-6 (2)
2. Sarah Giles-Madden (A) def. Alexis Jacobi (LU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Kristin Beehler (A) def. Allie Schwartz (LU), 6-3, 6-3
4. Diana Alquero (A) def. Julie Arthofer (LU), 6-4, 7-5
5. Jessica Shurtz (A) def. Francesca Murasko-Blank (LU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Bridie Burke (A) def. Ruthie Furman (LU), 6-3, 7-6 (4)