Posted: April 17, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Playing in its final tune-up before this weekend’s Patriot League tournament, Lehigh snapped its five match losing skid with a 4-3 win over Monmouth Tuesday at the Lewis Tennis Center. The Mountain Hawks captured the doubles point, and the first three singles points to improve to 3-13 on the season, while dropping Monmouth to 5-7.
In doubles play, Lehigh won at the second and third flights to secure the first point. Sophomore Drew Balshi and junior Brent Herbert won 8-4 over Tim McLane and Vik Gupta at No. 2 doubles, while junior John Nespoli and sophomore Jon-Michael Caminiti defeated Pedro Bruno and Corey Forrest 8-2 at No. 3 doubles.
In singles play, the first three matches to end all went Lehigh’s way, with seniors securing all three points for the Brown and White. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha knocked off Ben Evenden 6-4, 6-1 at first singles. Evan Volkman followed with a 7-5, 6-3 win over McLane at No. 5 singles, and then Brad Nelson clinched the win for Lehigh with a 7-5, 4-6, 7-5 win over Bruno. Injuries forced Lehigh to juggle its singles lineup, and Monmouth picked up wins at second, third and sixth singles close the final gap.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Saturday when they will travel to Annapolis, Maryland for the Patriot League Tournament, which is being hosted by Navy. Lehigh is the No. 5 seed and will face fourth seeded Bucknell in the opening round, at 8:00 am on the Navy Tennis Courts. The winner of that match gets the host and top seed Navy in Sunday’s semifinals.
1. Evenden/Corrie (MU) def. Fernandez-Concha/Nelson (LU) 8-4
2. Balshi/Herbert (LU) def. McLane/Gupta (MU) 8-4
3. Nespoli/Caminiti (LU) def. Bruno/Forrest (MU) 8-2
1. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Ben Evenden (MU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Tom Corrie (MU) def. Brent Herbert (LU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Corey Forrest (MU) def. Jon-Michael Caminiti (LU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Brad Nelson (LU) def. Pedro Bruno (MU) 7-5, 4-6, 7-5
5. Evan Volkman (LU) def. Tim McLane (MU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Vik Gupta (MU) def. Jesse Huth (LU) 6-4, 5-7, 10-8