Posted: April 15, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Senior Alfredo Fernandez-Concha won at first singles to improve to 4-1 in Patriot League singles matches, but it was not enough as Lehigh fell to Colgate 6-1 Sunday at the Lewis Tennis Center. Fernandez-Concha was the lone Mountain Hawk singles winner, and Colgate also took two out of three doubles matches to send Lehigh to its fifth straight setback. The Mountain Hawks are now 2-12 overall, 1-4 in league matches.
Colgate (10-9, 4-2) took the first two flights of doubles to win the doubles point. The Mountain Hawks did get a doubles win from the team of junior John Nespoli and sophomore Jon-Michael Caminiti, who defeated John Nogueras and Michael Yassky 8-5.
In singles play, Fernandez-Concha dispatched Chris Innes in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-0. Lehigh trailed 3-1 after the first three singles flights, so the Mountain Hawks needed to sweep the final three flights. The three bottom flights all went three sets, with Colgate players prevailing in all three.
Lehigh will return to the court on Tuesday afternoon, when the Mountain Hawks will host Monmouth in what will be Lehigh’s final tune-up before the Patriot League tournament next weekend in Annapolis, Md. First serve for the Monmouth match is set for 3:00 pm from the Lewis Tennis Center.
1. Innes/Wheeler (CU) def. Fernandez-Concha/Nelson (LU) 8-3
2. MacIntyre/Deck (CU) def. Balshi/Herbert (LU) 8-2
3. Nespoli/Caminiti (LU) def. Nogueras/Yassky (CU) 8-5
1. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Chris Innes (CU) 6-4, 6-0
2. Martin MacIntyre (CU) def. John Nespoli (LU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Marshall Wheeler (CU) def. Brent Herbert (LU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Tyler Deck (CU) def. Mike Gordon (LU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
5. John Nogueras (CU) def. Jon-Michael Caminiti (LU) 3-6, 7-5, 10-6
6. Michael Yassky (CU) def. Brad Nelson (LU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3