Posted: April 14, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – After narrowly winning the doubles point, Navy won all six singles matches to defeat Lehigh 7-0 Saturday afternoon inside the Lewis Tennis Center. Sophomore Drew Balshi and junior Brent Herbert earned a win at No. 2 doubles for the Mountain Hawks, who fall to 2-11 overall and 1-3 in league matches. Navy remains perfect in league play at 11-9, 3-0.
Balshi and Herbert gave Lehigh a chance at the doubles point with an 8-3 win over Adrian Lai and Stanley Kahl. Navy won at No. 3 doubles, and the first point came down to a tiebreaker at first doubles, which Nate Nelms and Johnny Waters won 7-4 to defeat seniors Alfredo Fernandez-Concha and Brad Nelson 9-8.
Singles play was not kind to the Brown and White, as the Mids captured all six flights in straight sets. Fernandez-Concha and junior John Nespoli had the closes matches, as both lost by identical 6-4, 6-4 scores at first and second singles respectively.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the court on Sunday when they host Colgate in a key Patriot League match that gets underway at 1:00 pm from the Lewis Tennis Center.
1. Nelms/Waters (N) def. Fernandez-Concha/Nelson (L), 9-8 (7-4)
2. Balshi/Herbert (L) def. Kahl/Lai (N), 8-3
3. James/Lemaich (N) def. Caminiti/Nespoli (L), 8-6
1. Nate Nelms (N) def. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (L), 6-4, 6-4
2. Johnny Waters (N) def. John Nespoli (L), 6-4, 6-4
3. Adrian Lai (N) def. Andrew Balshi (L), 6-2, 6-2
4. Stanley Kahl (N) def. Brent Herbert (L), 7-5, 6-2
5. Alex James (N) def. Michael Gordon (L), 6-0, 6-1
6. Ramsey Lemaich (N) def. Evan Volkman (L), 6-0, 6-1