Posted: April 12, 2007
LEWISBURG, Pa. – Playing its first match in nine days, Lehigh could not hold on to an early 3-1 lead as Bucknell rallied past the Mountain Hawks for a 4-3 win on Thursday afternoon. The Mountain Hawks won the doubles point and the first two singles flights, but the Bison earned wins at the final four singles flights to drop Lehigh to 2-10 on the season and 1-2 in league matches. Bucknell improves to 7-11, 1-3 in league matches.
Lehigh captured the doubles point with wins at first and third doubles. Seniors Alfredo-Fernandez-Concha and Brad Nelson defeated Jonathan Brenner and Ryan Sandburg 8-4 at first doubles, while sophomore Drew Balshi and junior Brent Herbert broke a 1-1 tie with an 8-5 win over Ira Reibeisen and Ben Young at second doubles.
In singles play, Bucknell tied the match with a win at third singles, before the Mountain Hawks took the lead again with wins at first and second singles. Fernandez-Concha knocked off Reibeisen 6-3, 6-4 at No. 1 singles, and then junior John Nespoli bested Sandburg in two tightly contested sets.
The Brown and White needed to win one of the final three flights to win the match, but the Bison took all three flights in straight sets. The match came down to No. 6 singles where Bucknell’s Daniel Bednarek beat sophomore Jon-Michael Caminiti 6-2, 6-3.
The Mountain Hawks will return to the courts on Saturday when they continue a string of four matches in six days against Navy. The start time for the match has been moved back to 1:30 pm, and depending on the weather the match will take place at either the Ulrich Varsity Courts or inside the Lewis Tennis Center.
1. Fernandez-Concha/Nelson (LU) def. Brenner/Sandburg (BU), 8-4
2. Balshi/Herbert (LU) def. Reibeisen/Young (BU), 8-5
3. Bednarek/Hascoe (BU) def. Caminiti/Nespoli (LU), 8-6
1. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (LU) def. Ira Reibeisen (BU), 6-3, 6-4
2. John Nespoli (LU) def. Ryan Sandburg (BU), 7-6(5), 7-5
3. Zach Hascoe (BU) def. Drew Balshi (LU), 6-1, 6-4
4. Jonathan Brenner (BU) def. Brad Nelson (LU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Ben Young (BU) def. Mike Gordon (LU), 7-5, 6-4
6. Daniel Bednarek (BU) def. Jon-Michael Caminiti (LU), 6-2, 6-3