Posted: April 10, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh fell in its 2007 Patriot League opener on Tuesday afternoon to the Bucknell Bison 5-2 at the Ulrich Varsity Courts. Julie Arthofer and Victoria Vityuk won in singles play for the Brown and White, who falls to 6-9 with the loss and 0-1 in league action. The Bison, who picked up the doubles point, along with wins at first, second, fourth and fifth singles improve to 4-12 overall and 1-1 in Patriot League play.
In doubles action Lehigh dropped both the first and second matches, as Pauline Gamboa and Carlin Calcaterra downed Lehigh’s Gwen Dwyer and Allie Schwartz 8-3, and Tania Varela and Ashley Globerman defeated the Mountain Hawks duo of Julie Arthofer and Ruthie Furman 8-2. In third doubles, Lehigh emerged victorious as Cessa Murasko-Blank and Victoria Vityuk defeated Kirstin Sotak and Camille Simonetti 8-2.
In singles play, the Bison picked up straight set wins in each of the first two flights to take a 3-0 lead, but Arthofer got the Brown and White on the board with a 6-3, 2-6, 6-2 victory over Calcaterra at third singles. Globerman defeated Murasko-Blank in straight sets 6-2, 6-1 at fourth singles as Bucknell went ahead 4-1, and Kirstin Sotak narrowly got by Furman 7-6, 7-5 to put the Bison in front 5-1. Vityuk then defeated Simonetti 7-6, 6-3 at fifth singles to give Lehigh its second point of the afternoon.
The Mountain Hawks return to action on Sunday afternoon when they host league foe Colgate, beginning at 1:00.
1. Pauline Gamboa/Carlin Calcaterra (BU) def. Gwen Dywer/Allie Schwartz (LU), 8-3
2. Tania Varela/Ashley Globerman (BU) def. Julie Arthofer/Ruthie Furman (LU), 8-2
3. Cessa Murasko-Blank/Victoria Vityuk (LU) def. Kirstin Sotak/Camille Simonetti (BU), 8-5
1. Tania Varela (BU) def. Gwen Dwyer (LU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Paulina Gamboa (BU) def. Allie Schwartz (LU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Julie Arthofer (LU) def. Carlin Calcaterra (BU), 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
4. Ashley Globerman (BU) def. Cessa Murasko-Blank (BU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Kirstin Sotak (BU) def. Ruthie Furman (LU), 7-6, 7-5
6. Victoria Vityuk (LU) def. Camille Simonetti (BU), 7-6, 6-3