Posted: March 31, 2007
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – After its thrilling victory over rival Lafayette on Tuesday, Lehigh suffered its first league loss of the season on Saturday as the Mountain Hawks fell 6-1 to Army on the Ulrich Varsity Courts. Senior Alfredo Fernandez-Concha was the lone singles winner for Lehigh, who falls to 2-9 on the year and 1-1 in league matches. Army, the two-time defending Patriot League champions, improves to 7-9 and 4-0 in the league.
Army won all three singles matches to earn the first point, and then rolled off straight set wins in the second through sixth flights of singles. Fernandez-Concha earned Lehigh’s only point with a win over John Houghton. After losing the first set 2-6, Lehigh’s senior co-captain battled back to win the second 6-3 before taking a third set tiebreak 10-8.
The Mountain Hawks were with without injured junior John Nespoli, who was limited to doubles action only. His absence from No. 2 singles forced Lehigh’s third through sixth players to move up a flight.
Lehigh returns to the court on Tuesday afternoon when the Mountain Hawks travel to St. John’s. The match gets underway at 3:30 pm from Jamaica, N.Y.
1. J. Houghton/Muhawi (Army) def. Balshi/Herbert (Lehigh) 8-2
2. Kang/Good (Army) def. Fernandez-Concha/Nelson (Lehigh) 8-5
3. Mullenger/Lucero (Army) def. Nespoli/Caminiti (Lehigh) 8-2
1. Alfredo Fernandez-Concha (Lehigh) def. John Houghton (Army) 2-6, 6-3, 10-8
2. Phil Mahawi (Army) def. Drew Balshi (Lehigh) 6-1, 6-1
3. Michael Good (Army) def. Brent Herbert (Lehigh) 6-0, 6-0
4. Eddie Kang (Army) def. Mike Gordon (Lehigh) 6-1, 6-0
5. Charles Mullenger (Army) def. Jon-Michael Caminiti (Lehigh) 6-4, 7-5
6. Bruno Lucivero (Army) def. Brad Nelson (Lehigh) 6-3, 7-5